Chapter 13

Everyone was stunned into silence. Two days ago they were shocked to see that alien life was even real, now they're being told to get ready for an invasion.

"Did you hear me? I said you're being invaded" Loki repeated when no one reacted to his news.

"We heard you" May snapped, then calmed her expression a bit. "we're just not exactly sure how to respond to something like that" she added less aggressively.

"Why would anyone want to invade earth?" Skye asked "if there's so many other planets, why Earth?"

"I can't say for sure, but probably Because earth is at a very critical point in its history. You're advanced enough technologically to be a valuable asset, but still primitive enough so that you're not a threat to an Invading force; you're an easy target that would yield high rewards" Loki explained, ignoring their disapproving looks when he said they were primitive.

"Do you know who is doing this?" May interjected.

"Yes. I don't know his actual name, but he goes by 'The Other'" Loki told her.

"How are you sure it's him? It could be anyone" Mack pointed out. There was a bit of silence while Loki tired To think of a good way to explain how he knew without making them distrust him. Unfortunately, he didn't get the chance.

"Because he tried to recruit Loki before" Fitz chimed in, remembering their conversation on the zephyr before Loki started his work on the chitauri. There were surprised glances from everyone in the room.

"You worked with this guy? And you didn't think to mention that?" May asked accusingly, and the other agents seemed to echo her feelings. Loki shook his head and held out and hand as if to ask them all to give him a chance to explain.

"No. No, hang on, I never worked for him. He asked if I would be interested and I said no. That was several years ago. I assumed he gave up the scheme when I declined but apparently I was mistaken" Loki explained, hoping to diffuse the situation before anyone got excited. No one looked entirely pleased, but no one accused him of collaborating with the enemy.

"So what do we do now?" Coulson asked "how can we stop these people?"

Loki sighed and shrugged a bit.

"Honestly I don't know. I don't know what his forces look like and I don't know how far away they are from invading. Clearly they're not ready yet, so we have a bit of time. The only thing we can do right now is try and find out if he has operatives here already" Loki advised.

"You think they're already here?" Skye asked. Loki turned his attention to her and nodded.

"There's a good chance. Normally when someone is going to invade such a large world they send or recruit scouts. It makes it a lot easier to know the enemy before sending in an army." He explained

"I think we would notice a bunch of those things running around down here" May commented. The chitauri didn't exactly look human.

"They could be in disguise, or the Other may have recruited humans to work with him. Just be careful of who you trust" Loki warned.

There was a heavy silence for a minute while everyone tried to decide what to do next. How do you continue on with your day when someone just told you that your world is in danger and there's nothing you can do about it? Loki waited for someone to say something, but no one did.

"Listen... it's been a long few days. Unless there's more work I need to do I'd like to go home" Loki announced after a long silent moment.

"No, you've done more than expected, feel free to go home. Thank you for your help, we'll contact you when we need you again" Coulson told him, offering a handshake. Loki shook his hand and then left the room to go home. He didn't know what their plan was or how the rest of their day would go, but he didn't really care. He told them about the threat, what they do about it is up to them. He just wanted to go home.