Chapter 39

Loki felt his blood boiling as he walked back to the visitor center, angrier than he'd ever been with his team. In his mind, they sold him out. They betrayed him right when he was starting to feel safe. He opened up to them even just a little bit and they immediately turned around and were trying to force him to do something he was entirely uncomfortable with.

Loki got to the glass doors and stopped. He could feel his heart pumping rage through his veins but he knew that if he went in there yelling and screaming it would only make things worse. He had to calm down. He took a few deep breaths, unclenched his fists at his sides, and did his best to take the angry look off his face.

He opened the doors with his badge and went inside. He wanted to go back to his room and try to simmer down for a minute before he talked to anyone, but as soon as he came in he was stopped by Coulson.

"There you are. Where did you go?"
Coulson asked.

Loki realize he couldn't talk with his jaw so tight, so he relaxed and forced a half smile.

"Nowhere important" Loki said a bit evasively, but Coulson didn't really care.

"Let's talk in the conference room then" he said, waving Loki to follow him. Loki was seething, but he also knew that Gilmore would have to contact Coulson to enact this whole forced therapy deal. Maybe if he kept Coulson busy he could intercept the call and at least buy himself some time to get out of it. So for now he hid his anger and followed Coulson to a large conference room.

When they got there Loki took a seat and Coulson sat across from him.

"Other than that list I already gave you, Rain just gave me a name" Loki started "she said someone called 'Sitwell' was working for the Other before the attacks"

Coulson wasn't very expressive in general, but Loki could tell in the minor changes in his face that he was bothered by that news.

"Does that name mean something to you?" Loki asked after a brief silence.

"I know Sitwell pretty well" Coulson said "are you sure you got the name right?"

Lokis temper was already on a Short fuse today, so when Coulson implied that it was more likely for Loki to have forgotten the name than for a SHIELD agent to be untrustworthy, he got pretty annoyed.

"Well of course Im sure, that's the whole reason I'm here" he snapped, then immediately regretted it and took a deep breath to get his tone under control "I'm sure. Rain told me he was a high ranking agent. I've never heard of him but I'm sure that's the right name"

Coulson nodded.

"Rain isn't exactly a reliable source. How did she get this intel?"

Loki shook his head.

"I don't know. She didn't say. I got the feeling she wasn't supposed to know though" Loki said.

Coulson looked unimpressed and Loki got annoyed again. He knew Coulson wasn't doubting him personally, but he was still irritated that what he was saying wasn't being taken at face value.

"Listen if you don't believe me just go investigate this Sitwell person" Loki snapped "I'm sure you can figure out what's going on, I'm just delivering a name"

Coulson was surprised and confused by Lokis attitude. He'd been fine all day and had shown an unfamiliar warmth when talking to Rain. But now suddenly he was short tempered and borderline hostile.

"Is there something going on you want to tell me about?" Coulson asked, knowing that between talking to Rain and right now, something had set Loki off.