twelve

"I'll never get used to that...jeez.." Blaise held his head as he regained his balance, Xan landing next to him with no issues.

"Drama queen." She stated and grabbed his hand, pulling them into the crowds of people as she discreetly tucked her wand into her back pocket. Her eyes darted around the familiar streets, taking in the dull, gray mid-morning scenes, people speed-walking in their suits to their 9-5s, runners dodging each other with a polite nod as they ran past one another, and lots of shoppers.

"Hungry, love?" Blaise asked, squeezing Xans hand next to him and she sighed as her mind thought back to Molly standing in the kitchen, offering her breakfast.

"I could eat, I guess."

"You guess? Now, that's a sentence I never thought you'd respond to with such a lack of enthusiasm." Blaise joked, looking down at her as he pulled her into a small, quiet cafe.

"Just had a rough few days is all, nothing to worry about." Xan reassured and smiled as Blaise pulled out a seat for her, then sitting himself down opposite her. His eyes were somewhat concerned but used to Xans dramatics, he wasn't sure how serious to take this moment.

"Wanna talk, stranger?" He asked, just as a waitress appeared next to them with a small notepad and pen.

"What can I get you two this morning?" She spoke in her soft English accent,her eyes not lifting from the pad in her hands. Her blonde curls fell down her shoulders as she cast the floor a smile which Xan supposed was meant to be for the two of them sat at the table.

"Two coffees, please." Blaise replied and smiled back up at her, a blush spreading across the waitress' face as she finally looked up and took in Blaise and his handsome features. Xan held back a laugh and covered her mouth with the back of her hand as she looked away. The waitress (who she assumed was named Orla, if her name tag was anything to go by) cleared her throat and scribbled down the order with a curt nod and walked off quickly.

"Can't take you anywhere, I swear." Xan laughed, now looking at the boy in front of her as he wore a slightly cocky grin, shrugging his shoulders.

"What can I say?" He asked, leaning back in his seat and crossing his arms over his chest.

"Now, as I was saying. What's going on? Are they that bad already?" He asked, his smirk dropping as his eyes settled on Xan, taking in her expression as it switched from a smile to a slightly worried look.

"It's been so weird, like...when I got to the burrow everything was completely normal. The twins barely spoke a word to me after dinner. We had a bonfire that night and they just watched." Xan said, furrowing her brows as she remembered the night.

"They watched?"

"They just watched, Blaise. They stood in their window and just watched us all dancing. A small part of me felt bad, like I was pushing them away from their family..." Xan said, forcing a weak smile at Orla who had come back, now with two mugs, some sugars and milk for the two of them. Xan mumbled a quick 'thanks' as she pulled one of the mugs towards her.

"Hey, why do you feel bad? You haven't done a thing wrong. They're pushing themselves away." Blaise said firmly, stirring his coffee as he put a single sugar in it.

"I just...I don't know. Since I got there...It's like every interaction I have with Fred is so weird. Like one minute he's nice to me and the next he treats me like shit." Xan said, casting Blaise a look from her mug as she debated whether to tell him about Fred opening his letter to her. She decided it was probably best not to. Blaise sipped his own coffee, his eyes looking out into the street as he seemed to be thinking of a good response.