twenty eight

Xan usually slept on the sofa with El but with the small, dark haired girl being nowhere to be seen Xan had to curl up alone tonight. A quick shower and a change into her pjs later, Xan did just that. It was unusually cold for a summers evening in England, Xanthie pulled the home knitted blanket up to her chin, shoving her arms down into it too, chills travelling up her spine as the wind blew harshly outside, the rain still drizzling down. Miserable.

Xanthie laid still for a moment, looking around the living room of the burrow. Everything homemade and with story's attached to each item. A clock that told Mrs Weasley where each of her children were at any given time, something Molly took great pride in. A huge stack of books that Charlie had read in the lead up to his travels to Romania, all glittering spines and silver writing. Rons christmas jumper from last year, a maroon colour with a giant 'R' on the front, a smidgen too small for Ron but he wore it anyway. Xanthie sighed, shifting to lay on her back, hands on her stomach, eyes wide open.

"Accio Mp3 player.." Xan whispered, holding her hand out lazily to catch her Mp3 player which arrived promptly, earphones attached. Arthur must have left it laying around somewhere down here. Xan popped an earphone into her ear and scrolled through her songs, all songs from when she had been younger. Songs from her summers, winters, first year at Hogwarts, first quidditch game. It landed on a soft piano song, the keys plunking softly in Xans ear taking her back to the Slytherin common room where Blaise would often play the piano, Xan and a couple of first years gathering around to listen.

Xans eyes started to flutter closed, the music lulling her off as her breaths deepened, her mind finally off of this evenings events. Just as Xan was drifting off completely, she jumped up at a small tapping noise from the kitchen window, hand to her chest.

"Errol, I swear to Godric.." She whispered, flinging herself back down, ignoring the tapping until it eventually stopped. Squeezing her eyes shut again, she tried to fall asleep once more.

Tap tap tap.

Tap.

Tap tap tap tap TAP.

"Oh for heavens sake, Errol!" Xan got up from the sofa and stormed towards the kitchen, flinging the door open and seeing a large black cape soaring away from the window quickly. Her eyebrows knitted together, knowing well that that wasn't Errol.

Xanthie slowly backed from the kitchen into the living room, feeling around for her wand in the dark room, clutching it desperately once she'd gotten hold of it. Her eyes darted around the room, checking the windows and doors. As she padded towards the window in the living room, she moved the curtains slowly to peer out and saw another dark figure looming away from the burrow. The sight of the figure threw Xanthie straight back into the dreamscapes of her and her mother being pinned to a marble floor, ropes tugging their wrists and ankles, the same cold shadow lingering around those dreams now floating around the burrow.

Xan felt around, pulling Rons jumper on over her head quickly as she stepped through the kitchen, out into the garden whispering 'lumos' as she went. Her head whipped around quickly, scanning the huge open fields around her as her hair blew wildly in the wind. A small creaking from behind her and the burrow door swung closed with a loud bang, instantly a bedroom light on the second floor turning on, shadows descending the stairs.

"Xanthie..." A voice right beside Xan whispered in her ear, harsh in tone but somewhat charming to her. Xan snapped to look in that direction only to see no one there, only the upturned bucket where she and Bill had sat. Xans heart sped up, sweat forming in her palms as she held her wand so tightly that her knuckles turned white.

"You are destined for so much more than this..."

The same voice.

Xan instinctively held her wand up now, narrowing her eyes at the darkness in front of her.