twenty nine

Hello, 

i'm so sorry i've been so absent as of late. i've been caught up in a lot of personal things but i'm back and trying to write regularly again. 

i have a feeling y'all will like this chapter... ; ) 

L x

Xan was awoken by a slight burning on her stomach followed by the sound of a glass being put down on the wooden table to the side of her. Her head hadn't stopped spinning since she had dropped to her knees on the familiar rug of Grimmauld. 

"Sweetheart, c'mon. You need to eat." Sirius' familiar voice was softer now, not his usual brash tone. Xan felt his hand scoop under her neck, lifting her head from its place on the pillow of her childhood bed. The room around her was dark, the curtains drawn and the door only cracked open a little bit as Sirius settled himself on the vacant space next to Xanthies legs which were covered by a blanket. Xans eyes fluttered open as she looked straight up at her ceiling, Sirius' hand still supporting her head as she fully awakened and slowly pulled herself up to sit. 

"What the fuck happened..?" Xan mumbled, looking down at the plate that Sirius must've rested on her stomach moments ago, two slices of hot toast on it. Sirius let out a low, breathy chuckle at her language. 

"I won't tell Remus you said that, kid. You didn't quite make the apparition, you were splinched but luckily you passed out straight away so the healing wasn't too painful. Molly managed to fix you up before you woke," Sirius had a small smile on his face, not a genuine one as he carried on "in fact, you've been out for quite some time. About 12 hours." He sighed, nodding his head downwards towards Xanthies plate, encouraging her to take a bite of the toast. Xanthie obliged as she thought about what had just happened. 

"Molly?! Is she here? Are they all here?" Xan sputtered through gulps of toast, remembering how they'd all been split up after the death eater attack. She began trying to move from the bed, her body in agony but determined to see if everyone was okay. Sirius pushed her back down gently and shook his head. 

"They're all downstairs.. Don't worry. Well... We umm-" Sirius stuttered. Sirius Black was never one to stutter, he was always entirely sure of his words before he spoke them. Always completely confident in what he was saying. Xans heart rate picked up. 

"What? What happened, Pads?!" Xan was in a flurry of panic thinking of all the possibilities. Was someone injured? Hexed? Was someone dead? Sirius laid a hand on her shoulder as he opened his mouth to speak. 

"When we found out the death eaters were gonna attack, we made sure that Shell Cottage was empty-" Sirius started to explain, his grey eyes searching Xanthies. Xans eyes narrowed back at him and her brows furrowed as she thought about his words, bouncing around the eerily silent room. 

"You knew about it?" Xan interrupted, shaking his hand from her shoulder. Sirius sighed and looked down, fiddling with his engagement ring. He nodded slowly and looked back up at the girl in front of him. 

"And you didn't think to tell us? Warn any of us? Nothing at all? Sirius, I- I could've died! Any of us could've died!" Xan said, her voice slowly rising as she felt her anger take over. Sirius' eyes widened at the way she had spoken to him but he didn't move from the spot next to her on the bed. Xanthie threw the blanket off of her lap, the plate sliding off of her knees and onto the floor with a smash as the plate broke. Xan stood shakily on her two legs, instantly pulling on fresh clothes from her wardrobe as Sirius began trying to explain. 

"We didn't think they would actually do it, stranger. When Narcissa told us, we thought it was an empty threat-" 

Remus had now entered the room, listening to the conversation unfold as he sat himself on the bed next to Sirius, watching Xanthie throw on clothes roughly. Xan whipped her head around with a flash of the white streak in her hair, she looked at the two men who had done nothing but love and cherish her, now sitting and telling her that they'd kept something as serious as a death eater attack to themselves.