Fourty Five

"Is everything okay?" I ask Mom as we walk into our house.

Mom sat there, typing away on her phone, ignoring me- or well, us.

"Hey, is everything okay Ms. Brave?" Issac asks, walking up to my mother as I locked the door.

"Oh, everything is fine!" Mom says, continuing to type away on her phone.

"Oh, so you didn't hear me but you heard him." I say, slightly smiling and walking over to the others.

"I only had ears for my son in law, now I have ears for the both of you." My cheeks flame as she says that, but I try to act like nothing happened and that I wasn't on the edge of dying or anything.

"I'm planning Grandma's funeral." She says. "I'm going out for a bit."

"Where are you heading?" I ask.

"Just to hang out with a old friend, that's all." Mom says. Taking in her appearance, she's wearing a stylish striped shirt and black jeans with heels.

"You look nice." Issac compliments Mom, taking a seat next to her as I take a seat next to him.

"Thanks dear."

Suddenly, a large bang fills my ear.

"I'll get it." Mom says. She walks over to the door and opens it then Issac and I follow her, revealing a man wearing a cap and hoodie, similar to the man I saw her run off with last time. "Hi!" She turns back to us. She stood in front of me, clearly blocking my view. "I'll be back!" With that, she quickly closes the door and the last thing I hear is; "I thought we agreed on meeting at your house."

• • •

"Are you sure you're okay?" Issac asks, lying down on my bed.

"No! I mean, Mom deserves to be happy but still! She's with that dude! She even ran away with him during the Christmas party! What about Dad? I know he left but..in my happily ever after, he comes back. My parents love each other again and then love us more than they already do right now. But no, Mom just ran off with some other guy." I say, huffing and puffing as I walk up and down in front of Issac.

"Well, why don't you just talk to her about it?" He asks me, counting something on the ceiling.

"I don't want her to know that I know she's been hanging out with someone. I mean, it's none of my business- but still. What if it doesn't work out?" I ask, my voicing becoming more and more fragile.

"Pink-" He sits up.

"What if he breaks her heart?" I stop walking and stare at Issac, teary eyed. "The last thing I need is another Mason. Why can't she just date my father again-"

"Come here." He says, interrupting me. Hesitatingly, I sit beside him on my bed. He grabs my hands and stares at me in my eyes. My heart was beating quite loudly, talk about embarrassing. My hands were trembling in his- I'm sure he could feel it. "It's okay. I know you're worried about her, trust me. I won't tell you that she deserves to be happy too because I know that it hurts when somebody is happy while you aren't. But give the man a chance, okay? You'll never know that he's a jerk like Mason unless you meet him."

"Oh-"

He quickly puts his finger to my lips before holding both of my hands again. "You want your father, I get it. Your mother cried for weeks when he left, right? Even though it's been years, knowing your mother, she's probably not over him yet. Besides, we don't even know if they're dating. You can have a guy best friend without it having to be all lovey dovey, ya know?"