Twenty One

"Hi, sweetheart." Mom says to me as I walk in the house. It catches me by surprise, she isn't usually home around this time.

"Hey mom, why aren't you at work?"

"I'll be going, just in a few. I really just wanted to talk you. Remember the talk I said I was gonna have with you?"

Just great. She arranges her bag and motions for me to sit in the stools next to the kitchen counter.

I sit and fake smile. "Oh goodness! I forgot about my history project that's due tomorrow! Gotta go check on it!" I get up and make my way to the stairs.

"History project due on Sunday? Girl, if you don't get yourself over here right now!"

I sigh, and walk to the kitchen and sit.

"Let's get started, shall we?" I nod for her to continue. "Who's the boy?"

"Issac."

"And what are y'all? 'Friends'?"

"Yes, indeed. That's what we are."

Mom rolls her eyes. "Remember that talk I had with you? You know, about Mason?"

"Mom!" I groan, and I feel my throat getting tight.

"Look, baby, I can already tell that something is going on between you too. You might deny if, Aisha, but I just want you to know that I don't want another Mason for you. I want someone that would actually believe in you. Like your father, sweetie, he was a great man. He loved me so much and protected me like his life depended on it. He always thinks it does."

I look at my mom, feeling my eyes tear up a little. "Then why did he leave?"

"Sweetie-"

"Your my mom. He's my dad. I deserve to know."

Mom sighs before sitting next to me and holds my hands.

"Every relationship, no matter how 'cute' or amazing they look together, have arguments and fight sometimes. Aisha, I remember it like it was yesterday; your father and I were arguing, about what he does. Your father use to smoke and do unhealthy things. You would think your father was perfect, he is, but I couldn't stand it. I told him to stop. But he said he couldn't. After we argued for a while, he said it's best if he leaves. I was flaming mad at him, he was flaming mad at me. I yelled 'Yeah, our children definitely don't need you, and I never needed you'! But I was wrong. Kids need their dads. Wives need their husbands. Husbands need their wives."

Everything sinks in. My memory unclogs and I remember it.

"Mom, I remember that. I heard everything. It was late at night, and you sent me to bed. But, I was and still am stubborn and sat on the stairs. I saw the whole argument. I heard it. I just don't remember some."

Mom looks sad, and shakes my shoulder. "I'm sorry. I drove your father out of the house and it's all my fault. This conversation continues later or tomorrow."

She looks at me with tears in her eyes. "I'm sorry, honey." She gets up, and walks up the stairs, leaving me alone with a blank mind.

I'm sorry too, Mom.

A/N: Hey guys! Okay, so I know this is a short chapter, but I didn't care! I had to give back to you guys! Thank you so much for getting this book to 200 reads! I should start/continue doing shoutouts! Like every chapter should have two shoutouts or one!

I'm thinking about it: but maybe in order to get a shoutout I just need you to follow my account and comment so I can shout you out! If you don't do so, how would I know your user?

Thanks a ton guys, it means a lot to me!!

Until the next,
Mmie

P. S: When I say: "Until the next, Mmie" it was suppose to be: "Until the next chapter, Mmie". But when I realized I made a mistake, I already published five chapters and was too lazy to fix it, so I kept it like that. Lol!