Chapter 52: the Battle of Neuogonia

"The Major's plan better work... I don't normally approve of such plans but then again. He was going to destroy it eventually..." Crocker tells his thoughts to Samantha as he sipped a cup'o joe from his MRE as he overlooked the outskirts of Neuogonia.

"It's old Militech-tech. But I understand your concerns, unlike last time. Major's people will keep it on a leash." Samantha answered.

"Hold up... sensors are picking up movement... oh no... it's here... they are here now." Cold sweat escaped Kayin as he monitored the UAV's Radar from his laptop monitor.

"Obed here, that's a large flock of birds..." Obediah radioed.

He spotted before him on his binoculars a mass gathering of about hundreds of unusually shaped avian creatures flying towards their position with haste. To make his old heart stressed more was that he now can hear the heavy treads of an army uniformly and slowly approaching them alongside.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, our guests have arrived."

Stryder Group dug in a fortified and old townhouse near the outskirts of Neuogonia. Barbed wire fences, a ditch, several mines, and other adjacent strongholds of similar built were all that protected the house from the outside world. Utilizing the limited manpower and the defensive terrain to their advantage, the combined Laniyea and UFEAF forces awaited eagerly for the impending charge of the Black Elven Army.

Over the distance, they can see Lehsol slowly setting herself down upon the horizon as the sun embedded its heated kiss upon the UFE's eyes.

"Those are Erynias. Avian Monsters native to the Tavai Islands. They say that their screeches can cause anyone who hears them feel immense pain." Aliathra explained.

"They're in range now." Kayin looked over the binoculars. "What is our orders?"

"All Anti-Air Weapons, fire for effect." Samantha radioed her orders.

"Affirmative, Chakrams rotating." Radioed the Air Defense Captain.

He the roar of the Militech Chakram SPAAG burst to life as its Twin 30mm Gatling Guns and Radar Guided SAM tore unleashed lead rain upon their flying attackers. The pint-sized little brother to the Militech Fjord IFV, sacrificing size to accommodate a full weapon loadout of Anti-Air weaponry and equipment to take down any hostile object who so happens to vulture around an effective 20 Kilometer radius. They were soon followed by those brave men under the banner of the 20th Engineering Battalion's PAAL-2 Slingshot MANPADS and Ullr Missile Batteries that fired surface-to-air missiles that fragmented into shrapnel upon detonation near their targets aimed at the Erinyas. Both weapons finding their marks upon the avian monster's flock with lethal precision tearing the large birds of prey apart without their talons ever tasting the blood of their prey. They leave an inhuman and profane shriek that gave a haunting chill to those who heard of them even hundreds of meters away as their bodies plummeted to the green and ash grounds of the Slaegian Heartlands.

"GAH!" cried the Air Defense Captain.

"Son of a bitch!" Crocker gnashed his teeth as he grasped his ears painfully.

All of Stryder Group could feel their eardrums disgorge themselves as they heard the Erinya's screams of pain.

"You weren't kidding when you said they scream so loudly..." Samantha cringed. "O-Obediah? How are you doing?" she turned to their sniper who situated himself on the second floor of the house.

"I feel... a bit queasy... but I think my Ear Filters stopped the worse'em." Stryder's Marksman answered calmly, his head was still ringing but he can still function normally in combat.