Chapter 26: Operation Bakumatsu (Part 2)

Samantha had to be split with her squadmate Iris Cadohagan or now more formally, Specialist Cadohagan when they have recently summoned their presence at the Police Headquarter of New Albany. They were looking forward to having time to themselves for some rest and relaxation and to also discuss what their plans are for tackling Dr. Mahelona's research-related requests.

"Polonsky? We're here." Samantha saluted with a natural gesture of her hands whilst Iris, still new to the whole Military Discipline meekly and quickly followed.

"Good, each of you got two different tasks that you are only able to complete," Polonsky said. "Lieutenant, I am assigning Aliathra Lareththor to your unit and I need you to brief her on the rules she has to follow," Polonsky informed Samantha.

"Why? I am already Happy with Iris already. Why would I need another one?" Samantha asked.

"Why let her in? I can handle things quite well with my Magics." Iris enviously slighted.

"According to both of your profiles... or at least what ISAC says about the Elf, is that you Miss Cadohagan and Miss Lareththor abilities are complimentary of each other," Polonsky explained.

"Complimentary? But she is just a snooty Elf princess." Iris scoffed at the idea.

"Well, your 'Snooty Elf' has displayed and boasted abilities from Fields of Magic that you couldn't do. Restoration, Illusion, and Alteration. Additionally, she seems to share a well-educated knowledge of the Politics and Anthropology of everything here in Gliesia, and its only best she will be assigned to you. Besides Lieutenant, you needed a Combat Lifesaver in your squad since the beginning of your Tour."

Samantha had to admit that the Colonel was correct.

"But can we trust the Elf?" the Lieutenant asked.

"She has nowhere to go but her loyalty to her homeland is still without a doubt somewhere still inside her. Her interests is to her fellow Elves well-being. Its just that her perspective of everything... of us has changed. You NEED to be there for her." Polonsky said.

"Be there for what?"

"Be there to give her a hand. Explain, Comfort, Discipline. She may not be like Iris, but she has great potential to be able to help us get out of this mess." Polonsky answered. "And speaking about that, Iris, you are needed at the Basement. Inspector Reid been trying to crack the 'Crow' we have captured but she wouldn't budge. I need you to perform that... ehm... bite thing with the memory reading you can do." Polonsky ordered the Vampire.

"Oh, that sounds actually fun." She smiled coyly. It was essentially a free meal for the Vampire Witch. "Farewell Red, I am going to have what you earthlings call 'Snack Time'." She bid goodbye as she eagerly skirted to the Basement.

"So where is Aliathra?" Samantha asked.

"Conference room, Upstairs, not closed interrogation room this time. We are trying to show some goodwill for her by NOT treating her as a prisoner. Even though she technically is one." Polonsky said. "You are essentially her Political Officer, just like how you have to treat Diaz."

"Roger that," Samantha said.

She was rather disturbed by the fact that the Elf Woman was to be treated like a Penal Soldier since most of the time, Penal Soldiers were treated as expendable assets in times of battle. The poor Elf suffered a lot but if she wants to uplift herself from this predicament, she has to pay with her mind, body, and soul. Samantha might give the Elf some leniency in comparison to her suspicions with Vincent Diaz despite his connections with Aparo Megacorporation bankrolling a huge piece of New Albany's equipment, bankrolls, and labor.