Chapter 10: Open Season

Two olive garbed individuals slogged themselves across the marshy grounds of the Verden Valley Forest. They were both armed with hunting gear ranging from a rifle, high caliber pistols, a shotgun and their camouflage garments. And they were on the prowl for the creatures dubbed 'Seadevils'.

Having to relinquish his normal Carbine to the armory that day, Diaz was left slightly annoyed not being able to wield his preferred firearm and resort to using Obediah's spare KSG shotgun with Slug ammunition that he lends to him for the day. The swamp the the two UFE soldiers who happen to be taking one of the Adventurer's Guild's 'Quests' today on their day off for some money that the two agreed to split their whatever earnings they can obtain today.

"Shit Obed, the stench." Diaz complained. He covered his nose by pinching it with hit fingers as he continued moving forward.

"You're such a City Boy kid. Take some of the outdoor smell." Obediah replied.

Their surroundings were of large fungus infested trees whose roots look like they were tip toeing away from as much swamp water from their feet. Swamp Reeds and Lilly pads painted the water in a murky green that with the naked eye, nobody could see anything beyond an inch. It was a dreary locale that would naturally be home to such a vile creature named 'the Seadevil'. The only comforting sight in this God-forsaken place were the glowing flora and fauna found beneath the trees ranging from mushrooms, flowers and what looked like fireflies that glow a bright blue rather than the earth native orange color that the UFE are familiar with.

"Keep you eye on the scanner boy. I don't want any surprises you hear me." Obediah instructed.

"Yeah got it" Diaz nodded. He looked on to his attached scanning equipment next to his shotgun and observed the device.

It worked as both a Sonar Device and a Parabolic Heartbeat sensor that can detect the faintest of heartbeats from the bradycardic (slow heartbeat) Sea Devils, if their similarity to Alligators and Crocodile is correct.

"Hang on, hundred meters, East. Something big is happening." Diaz said spotting a disturbance from his scanner.

Alarmed by the detection, the two slowly moved east with their fingers on their triggers. Every second they are inside the swamp and every step they took could risk the possibility of one of the vile beasts ambushing them. Any form of help will likely be factored as irrelevant due to the hostile nature of the swamp when it comes to navigation. The survival of the two hunters rest upon their equipment and their own wits.

After a grueling stretch across the soft and watery ground, Obediah raised his hand signaling his partner to halt. The two knelt down and hid behind a tree that concealed their positions as they looked forward. The Hunter silently gestured his fingers to his two eyes and then pointed forward signaling his inexperienced partner to observe what is ahead of them.

Diaz peeked over the tree and spotted what the pair came to this secluded hellhole, it was a singular Seadevil standing alone in some wet land. It's back was turned against them as it was eating the corpse of an unfortunate stag.

"Take the shot." Diaz whispered.

Obediah straffed to his right under the cover of the Swamp's Trees to get a better shot at the beast. He repositioned himself until he got a full view of the creature's right side without getting detected. Peering through 'Leah's' scope, Obediah held his breath to aim. His crosshairs aimed center mass hoping to land a devastating lung shot to the creature on his first shot. He carefully squeezed the trigger and...

*WHOOSH!!!*

*BANG!!!*

The sudden sound of sharp flight erupted from across the left side of the monster at the same time Obediah pulled the trigger. In one instant, the Seadevil collapsed face first dead on the ground.