Chapter 27: a Land of Passion and Sun

"We got new orders!" Samantha declared as she walked into her squad who made themselves at home at their Land Cruiser's Vehicle Bay.

Crocker was performing preventive maintenance with his old but reliable Exo-Skeleton suit, Diaz was observing the latest Social Media posts, Obediah cleaning 'Leah' and 'April' obsessively (again!), Clay eating a shoddily constructed 'Grilled' Cheese Sandwich and then finally Kayin, with Iris were sitting together with the Vampire reading a book and the Nigerian pointing her some important facts and details. But as soon as Samantha's voice was heard, Stryder Group stood up from their spots some practically dropping any item they had on hand. And of course, Diaz was the slowest to straighten up as Samantha passed through.

"We will be deployed to Souviel, a Coastal City west of Tyr Rian. This is a Study and Observations assignment. Our objectives are to explore any possible diplomatic, economical or scientific leads that we may encounter there. We will be among the first of us to venture there. Expect sunny weather and cool nights so bring some shades and sunblock." Samantha said.

"Iris, we will need you to be there with us. You sure you're okay with a lot of sun?" Clay asked the Vampire Witch.

"Just pack me some extra Sunblock if we have to go out during the day. I am quite fond of the ones for the Sensitive Skin." Iris informed.

"Normally Vampires explode into dust when they see the sun. How come you just need some Sun Block off the women's skincare section and your good to go?" Obediah asked.

"Well you see everyone, 'Vampires' in Gliesia and the way you depict Vampires in your culture are very different." Iris answered.

"Explain." Samantha asked with an intrigued lean on her posture.

"My great grandfather, King Martainn was prodigious Alchemist at his time. He forged several recipes of many potions, tonics, oils and other concoctions that can help alter the essences of people. Make them stronger, faster, resistant to poison and even changing their hair color. He was hoping to make such effects permanent before the Empire conquered Tyr Rian." The Vampire explained.

"Are you saying Martainn was trying to chemically alter the genes of people? Because that sounds just like what you're saying." Kayin asked.

"That is what you call it? Then yes he is trying to change people... 'genes'. I don't recall pants being involved since most people in the Cambervale Valley work skirts."

"No, No, that's J-E-A-N-S for the pants. I meant G-E-N-E-S. Those words are homophones. Words that sound alike but different spelling and meaning altogether. English can be confusing sometimes. So yeah, Genes with a 'G' are those little string rope things I showed you on a picture of DNA strand sometime ago. They make a person have... uniqueness. Like your eyes, hair color and how tall you can be etcetera." Kayin explained.

"I see. Back to King Martainn, before the Slaegian's conquered what will become the Empire one day, he made his children drink a concoction that he had made in his lab. He called it 'Philter of Immortal Power'. The potion was said to give a non-magical person the ability to be able to cast magic not only for him but for his offspring too. The effect of this potion is what you see in me today, with all of my 'Vampire' traits and flaws." Iris said.

"So, let me get this straight some product of a chemically induced eugenics program? As in King Martainn wanted to make his children magically empowered?" Kayin pressed further to confirm.

"Indeed. There were some effects to our... 'genes' that made us like Vampires such as our affinity with using blood to substitute for Mana Crystals, our said occasional appetite for blood and our sensitivity to sun light which dampens my ability to cast magic. Although this potion you call 'Sunblock' gives me immunity to Lehsol's Gaze, the word of speech we call for the sun shining. Also being in the sun without having Sunblock on gives me the most unsettling malady of ricketiness." Iris said.