Chapter 66: a Harmatia to Gliesia

The spirits of the soldiers had soared to such levels only last seen the twilight months before this damnable, this forlorn hope that is this War had brought. Nothing but the sight of ruination, the loss of familial brethren, and the abyss of famine was all that the decimated remnants of the Slaegian Legion, the last vestiges of the Empire. Then until at last, marching triumphantly through the gates of Ghana's Wall was the jubilation of the Elven Rangers and Slaegian-Born Adventurers the music of the Demon's first defeat. Three hundred cheers were made of their victory from the Garrison as they hoarded the treasures and even spared a few jeers to the Captive Invaders that the Elves had brought into tow. Elated that now their foe the shadow terror of fear that they had once faced.

To make their prospects brighter, the Supply situation had been resolved, if temporarily. Fresh and intact caravans filled with grain, meats, and vegetables from what remains of their meager food sources had finally shipped into the fortress' pantry. All of which is just in time, as a long stream of refugees sought sanctuary beneath walls of the Great Northern Bastion. Thanks to the efforts of the Elves, bread bakes truly on the mighty ovens of the Fortress to feed the hungry as Huguet bit down on the first, real meal for the past few months.

The Marshall only shared partial jubilation however with this victory. He was truly, pleased of this turnabout of fortunes for the Crusade but the casualties sustained to inflict about 30 deaths amongst the Demonic invaders and 22 Prisoners of war in exchange for a combined estimate of 500 brave souls was barely digestible for his war-weary stratagem to tolerate. Valorion however, reassured him that this first price they had paid for their shift in tactics will gradually decrease over time once their combined forces get a true understanding of their foes. The last battle, being the seed that will grow to a phoenix amongst the ashes of the cascading yet still defiant Empire.

"Show me." the Marshal nodded to Sellyine.

The Mage alongside several Clerics of Neneth and Thidar were garbed in Apothecarian garments, the purity of their silvery robes adorned with holy symbols tainted with Red Blood. Red Demonic Blood.

Before them were piles of notes, detailed sketches etched with enchanted quills called Remembrance Pens. Illustrations of what they had discovered in near-perfect detail, or as perfect as an ink quill pen could reproduce. Earlier that day, the Prisoners of War from Valorion's successful attack, at least three of them were selected at random to be put under the blade immediately. They were cut wide open with much resistance but immediate sedation of a Deep Slumber Spell from the Calyrielian Priest allowed the studious Surgeons and their Demonologist colleagues to begin their study.

What results they had found were shocking.

"They... are normal?" Huguet reeled slightly. He was left stunned by the detailed drawings the Elve's Remembrance Pens had etched.

He didn't have time to venture deep into the Dungeons below the Fortress so the crack party of Demonologists, Advocates, and Holy Clerics had to use enchanted quills to detail their initial findings to the Marshall in person. The drawings were of no different than the voluminous textbooks used by erudite Healers and Doctors in studying the physiological body. He had expected something more, fantastic or otherworldly coming from these Invaders. But their bodies were nothing of boastful distinction compared to anyone within the Alliance of the Light could attest.

"When he had dissected their cadavers, I was honestly left aghast. I even made sure we were not seeing some kind of Illusion. But alas, I did not find any traces of Magic. What your eyes see from these sketches do not deceive you." Sellyine bowed her head and reported. "This evidence further complements your Spymaster's stories. That these Invaders do not use Magic or not as much as we do."