|| Dr. Joyce Brothers ||

An American psychologist
And writer of many books.
An utterly remarkable woman.

" SUCCESS IS A STATE OF MIND.
IF YOU WNAT SUCCESS
START THINKING OF YOURSELF
AS A SUCCESS."

                                     🌅

-----

"The best proof of love is trust."

-----

"A strong, positive self-image is
the best possible preparation for success."

-----

"Marriage is not
just spiritual communion,
it is also remembering
to take out the trash."

-----

"Being taken for granted can be a compliment.
It means that you've become a comfortable, trusted element in another person's life."

-----

"When you look at your life,
the greatest happinesses are family happinesses."

-----

"Listening,
not imitation,
may be the sincerest form of flattery."

-----

"Trust your hunches.
They're usually based on facts filed away just below the conscious level."

-----

"Marriages, like careers,
need constant nurturing...
the secret of having it all is loving it all."

-----

"My husband and I have never considered divorce... murder sometimes, but never divorce."
😂

-----

Something about Dr. Joyce Brothers-

Dr. Joyce Brothers, a former academic psychologist who, long before Drs. Ruth, Phil and Laura, was counseling millions over the airwaves, died on Monday at her home in Fort Lee, N.J. She was 85.

Dr. Joyce Brothers, as she was always known professionally — a full-name hallmark of the more formal times in which she began her career — was widely described as the mother of mass-media psychology because of the firm, pragmatic and homiletic guidance she administered for decades via radio and television.

In her book “Widowed” (1990), she wrote candidly of her own suicidal despair after her husband’s death from cancer, and her eventual resolve to go on with her life.

Milton Brothers, an internist who specialized in diabetes treatment, died in 1989. Besides her daughter, an ophthalmic surgeon, Dr. Brothers is survived by a sister, Elaine Goldsmith; four grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Her other books include “The Brothers System for Liberated Love and Marriage” (1972) and “How to Get Whatever You Want Out of Life” (1978). Had it not been for “The $64,000 Question,” Dr. Brothers might well have remained a scholar whose publications ran toward “An Investigation of Avoidance, Anxiety, and Escape Behavior in Human Subjects as Measured by Action Potentials in Muscle,” as her doctoral dissertation was titled.

But in an era when few women managed to have high-profile public careers, Dr. Brothers was able to transform a single night — Dec. 6, 1955, the night of her $64,000 question — into more than five decades of celebrity.

The question was a multipart interrogation that caused the show to run 30 seconds long. Her responses, given from an isolation booth, conveyed the agility of her mind, the capacity of her memory and the ferocity of her determination.

That night Dr. Brothers supplied, among other impeccable answers, the name of the glove Roman gladiators wore (cestus), Primo Carnera’s opponent in his heavyweight title defense of 1933 (Paolino Uzcudun) and the name of the essayist (William Hazlitt) who wrote about having seen Bill Neat defeat Thomas Hickman on Dec. 11, 1821.

Social conversation

Social conversation

She was viewed as the public crisis counselor, as she was asked to comment on issues like Princess Diana's death and the explosion of the Challenger space shuttle.

Joyce Brothers addressed homosexuality in 1972, and the transgender community in 1959, easing her viewers into it from the prior standpoint in which they were raised with. After the 1999 Columbine school shooting, she was persistent on CNN, for gun control legislation.

More memorable episodes of her advice shows include when she helped a man on air who called in contemplating suicide as a result of being blind in one eye and nearly blind in the other.Her efforts included keeping him on air for thirty minutes—long enough for National Save-A-Life to contact. Another similar episode aired in 1971 when a woman called in and was threatening to overdose on sleeping pills. As this was a riveting circumstance, the show was left running for 3 more hours after uninterrupted, so that Brothers was able to extract a phone number from the woman to get an ambulance to her.

Sexism

Upon receiving acceptance into Columbia University for her Ph.D, the dean of her department, stated although her qualifications were impeccable, she was taking the position of a man who would use the degree, and it would be best if she dropped her position.However, Brothers did not waver and maintained her position.

Despite this, she was a product of the time evidenced by her belief that her husband should be the breadwinner. She thus gave up any notion of pursuing a career in psychology for herself, as it could mean being in competition with her husband. Early in her career, when Brothers was asked by women for advice on when their husband would show interest in other women, Brothers was known to ask the caller to look at themselves and ask what they could do to be more like the women their husband seem to chase after. Brothers later became more involved with issues of women's rights. In 1972, she was one of many who testified in front of the platform committee on women's issues, also serving as acting chair of a US delegation for the 16th assembly of the Inter-American Commission of Women. In 1979, she provided proposals at the congressional hearing on "problems of mid-life women", speaking on employment, retirement income, and anti-ageism in television characters.

Brothers died on May 13, 2013 at her home in Fort Lee, New Jersey. Her daughter, Lisa Brothers Arbisser, says she died of respiratory failure.

 Her daughter, Lisa Brothers Arbisser, says she died of respiratory failure