|| Morris West ||

"If you spend your whole life
waiting for the storm, you'll never enjoy the sunshine."

🌞

"If God be God and
man a creature made in image
of the divine intelligence,
his noblest function is
the search for truth."

🌞

"The fact is that
the learning process goes on,
and so long as the voices are not stilled and the singers go on
singing some of it gets through."

🌞

"[The writer] has to be the kind of man who turns the world upside down
and says, lookit,
it looks different, doesn’t it?"

🌞

"The truth ?
the truth my dear Ashely is a luxury available only to those who are not involved in its consequences"

🌞

"I know what you are thinking - you need a sign. What better one could I give than to make this little one whole and new? I could do it, but I will not. I am the Lord and not a conjurer. I gave this mite a gift I denied to all of you - eternal innocence.
To you, he looks imperfect but to me he is flawless like the bud that dies unopened or the fledgling that falls from the nest
to be devoured by the ants. He will never offend me, as all of you have done. He will never pervert or destroy the work of my Father's hands. He is necessary to you. He will evoke the kindness that will keep you human. His infirmity will prompt you to gratitude for your own good fortune. More! He will remind you every day that I am who I am, that my ways are not yours, and that the smallest dust mite, while in darkest space, does not fall out of my hand. I have chosen you. You have not chosen me. This little one is my sign to you. Treasure him!"

Morris West, The Clowns of God
(The Vatican Trilogy Book 2)

🌞

"One solved nothing by waving
the commandments like a bludgeon at people's heads.
There was no point in shouting damnation at a man who was already walking himself to hell on his own two feet. One had to pray for the Grace of God and then go probing like a good psychologist for the fear that might condition him to repentance or the love that might draw him toward it."

Morris L. West, The Devil's Advocate

🌞

"One has to abandon altogether
the search for security, and reach out to the risk of living with both arms.
One has to court doubt and darkness as the cost of knowing."

🌞