|| George Eliot ||

It is never too late to be what you might have been.

-George Eliot
Tags: inspirational, source-unknown

-

Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordy evidence of the fact.

- George Eliot,
Impressions of Theophrastus Such
Tags: loquacity, remaining-silent, silence

-

I like not only to be loved, but also to be told that I am loved. I am not sure that you are of the same mind. But the realm of silence is large enough beyond the grave. This is the world of light and speech, and I shall take leave to tell you that you are very dear.

-George Eliot
Tags: love

-

What greater thing is there for two human souls, than to feel that they are joined for life--to strengthen each other in all labor, to rest on each other in all sorrow, to minister to each other in all pain, to be one with each other in silent unspeakable memories at the moment of the last parting?

-George Eliot,
Adam Bede
Tags: couples, death, fellowship, love, marriage, memory, relationship, sadness, sorrow

-

But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

-George Eliot,
Middlemarch
Tags: inspirational, life, thoughtful

-

What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other?

-

We could never have loved the earth so well if we had had no childhood in it . . . .

-

It will never rain roses: when we want to have more roses, we must plant more roses.

-

It is a narrow mind which cannot look at a subject from various points of view.

-George Eliot, Middlemarch
Tags: narrow-mind, open-mindedness, perspective

-

Marriage must be a relation either of sympathy or of conquest.

-

Our dead are never dead to us, until we have forgotten them.

-

Only in the agony of parting do we look into the depths of love.

- George Eliot
Tags: agony, introspection, love, parting

-