Chapter 5: The Last City

~Y/n P.O.V.~

We had made it out of the tunnel, and we were back on the dirt roads. Jorge and Brenda pushed down the scrap metal that covered the windows.

"I'm impressed. You guys almost lasted a whole day." Jorge commented.

"You good?" I asked Newt.

"Yeah." He breathed out.

Brenda turned around in her seat, looking at me with raised eyebrows, shaking her head, a small smile on her face.

I scoffed softly, smiling a little, "I'm sorry. I didn't wanna bring you guys into this."

Brenda glanced at Jorge, who looked at me through the mirror.

"I think what she's trying to say is thanks for saving us." Frypan spoke up, patting my shoulder.

I glanced at him, before looking back at Brenda, smiling at her.

"You're welcome." She replied, a little bit of sassiness in her voice, while looking into my eyes.

"Hey, don't get your hopes up. That checkpoint back there, that was the city's last defense. If that was overrun, chances are the city is, too." Jorge said.

"Yeah, unless they figured out some other way to keep the Cranks out." Newt spoke up, looking out the window.

I followed his gaze, seeing it. The Last City. Everyone else followed his gaze, too. Jorge stopped the car, before we all got out, keeping our eyes on it. There were tall buildings, skyscrapers...

And walls around them...

"Funny. Spent three years trapped behind walls, trying to break out, and now we wanna break back in." Newt commented.

"Yeah. It's hilarious." Frypan sarcastically spoke.

"Jorge, how do we get in?" I asked.

"Don't look at me, hermano. Those walls are new. I guess that's Wicked's answer for everything." He said.

"Well, we ain't gonna figure it out from up here. Let's go!" Brenda spoke.

Everyone started getting into the truck, but I walked forward, keeping my gaze on the city. Minho's there. And I'm gonna get him back. I heard footsteps come towards me, then I felt a hot breath on the side of my head.

"You really think he's in there?" I heard Thomas ask me.

I glanced at him, "I guess we'll find out."

"You know she's gonna be there, too." He said.

I glanced at him, before looking back at the city. I knew who he was talking about. He was talking about the one who betrayed us. The one who I thought was my best friend. Like my sister...

Teresa.

Just the mention of her, made some tears pool in my eyes. We were always close, even when we lost our memories. We always found a way to get closer. She was one of my best friends. I was the first person she trusted when she was sent up in the maze. Pretty sure, I was the only one. She always stayed by my side. We were there for each other. While I was thinking all of this...

It made me realize...

I still care for her.

~

~Teresa P.O.V.~

I stood in a room, in front of a giant window. Ava and I had just went to a meeting, and I explained what we could do. I heard the sound of heels behind me. I already knew it was Ava.