In Loving Memory

Hazel

All good things must come to an end, all relationships come to a close sooner or later and all you're left with is a pixel of dust and nerve, haunting you for months, years, until you can't take it. Until you either die with that loved one, or one dies sooner than you, or maybe you are the one dying.

For me, I didn't think I'd be lying in bed at night thinking about that thought. The thought of having a day of dying with my loved one, or the loved dying before me.

Drew.

He died.

Five months ago but his death still haunts me.

The life being shaken out of his body as he falls to his knees, face in shock, and unable to understand what is happening. The color from his face slowly fading as all of his blood rushes to his head, aching painfully. All life draining out of him like water spilling out of a glass all at once.

His facial expression is still printed in my mind, the back of my head at all times. I was cuffed, unable to do anything.

But yet I still blame myself.

-

It was December 26th, the day after Christmas.

The Christmas party was going great, laughter all around, the food being cooked at just the right temperature, gobbling it down like there's no tomorrow. The fresh baked apple pie Kira and Delilah had successfully made, tasting just as delicious as it smelled.

The night seemed to have dragged after Luna broke the horrible news to us, all of us. That her brother was in town. And he wanted to kill her.

Eli seemed to know the most out of all of us. Spending almost a year in the void with her, practically knowing her life at this point.

We all didn't know how to process it. Luna had just come back from the void, and the news almost made me pass out. Time seemed to be wasted, and just like that the entire night was ruined.

-

Today we held a funeral for Drew. It was only what was right.

Even five months after, we seemed to not have time to plan a funeral, us trying to take a breath of air before we jumped into new chaos.

The morning of the funeral seemed off. The thick air was misty, and the sound of the birds chirping in the distance gave off an eerie feeling.

We had all agreed to meet up at the funeral home, where we'd take our seats and share a couple of kind words about Drew.

It been five months, and I still miss Drew. It seems like just yesterday we defeated the void, taking back Eli and Luna.

-

The service was starting in ten minutes. The only ones here were me, Delilah, Eli, Luna, Crystal, Maya, and Dorothy. We were still waiting on a couple of people to arrive. We all took our seats right in front of the blue coffin that Drew's ashes had been lying in.

Blue represented Drew. He wore the color almost everyday. It was his favorite, so having blue flowers and a blue coffin for him was the least we could do for him.

"Where is everyone? The service is about to start and we're still missing half of our guests." Eli complains, a worried look planted on his face.

I look around the area, the cloudy sun reflecting off of us, cooling us all down in the late december sun.

"I'm not sure. We still have some time before the pastor shows up--"

"We're here! Sorry there was traffic!" Ashley says, Kira hanging by her side with Madeline and Bianca behind her.