Truth Revealed

Delilah

Going to bed that night seemed to be a challenge. All of us were cramped together, no space, and filthy from all of the dust and dirt that surrounded the floors.

In a normal cabin, there were five people per cabin. Though me, Hazel, Maya, Ashley, William, Kira, Madeline, and Dorothy managed to squeeze ourselves together. It was definitely not going to be a smooth couple of days. Plus who even knows, it may be days, weeks, months.

We'd have to at least make more space for each of us.

"Good night everyone," Hazel whispered. We somehow had managed to find some inflatable air mattress in the buses, which we tried our best to fill up. The cabin was freezing. If we even dared to stay in the same place, we'd probably freeze to death.

"Night," Maya whispers back.

Just like that, the exhaustion hit us all at once, and in less than five minutes we hit rock bottom.

-

I woke up the next morning, a sharp pain driving down my back from the awkward and uncomfortable sleeping position. Looking outside from my bed, the air was foggy and cold.

I shiver at the sight, sending chills down my body. Those tiny bumps appeared, making my body feel numb and desperate for heat. Though our heater in this cabin was broken.

"Is anyone up?" I whisper. The rasp in my voice lingered down to my throat. It was sore. I was in desperate need for some sort of supplies.

I heard movement in the sheets, and a sigh of relief. Everyone seemed to be dragging. I had no idea what time it was. But the sun was already up, so it had to be at least 8 am at the least.

"I'm up," a voice finally says groggily. Her voice was soft, it was Kira. "Kira, are you there?" I ask. "Yes,"

-

The two of us get up quietly, trying to not disturb anyone else. William was passed out in the corner, Hazel hanging off of the air mattress, Ashley and Maya were piled on two of the thin mattresses, while Madeline--where was Madeline and Dorothy?

Kira and I piled out of the cabin, walking down the trail. I had no idea where the kitchen was, but judging by the distant noise and chatter that filled one of the large cabins, I assumed that was the cafeteria.

The smell of breakfast filled our nostrils lightly, my stomach grumbling in response. "Smells good," I tell Kira. The silence was broken. She nods her head in agreement. Kira still seemed half asleep, half awake.

We walk through the large wood doors, blasted with a load of heat. My body seemed to be in paradise by the instant temperature change. It praised it. Loads of Striders were sitting down at the wood picnic tables, gobbling down their food like there was no tomorrow.

Chefs were cooking up what seemed to be bacon and eggs. Outside of the kitchen sat a table full of different sides. Fruits, crackers, some lays chips. It was a big breakfast, and it smelled one of a kind.

Everyone was enjoying themselves. Like Xavier wasn't a thing. Just a whole HQ acting like a big fat family.

I trace my eyes around the room, trying to find Dorothy, Madeline, Luna, anyone. I finally found them, sitting at an empty table by a window. I signaled Kira to follow me.

"Morning everyone," I say softly, taking a seat next to Dorothy who was drinking a cup of orange juice.

"Good morning. How was the cabin?" Crystal asks. Her long blonde hair was placed up in a bun. It was usually either down or in a ponytail. Never a bun though. And her brown masquerade mask on as usual. Luna was wearing a purple blouse, with some black jeans.