Chapter 02

‘Come in,’ Mew said as he heard a knock on his office door.

The door opened slowly and he saw a boy standing there. He stepped into the room before closing the door behind him.
Gulf was very tense and as if to increase his fear, Mew spoke up.

'If I'm not wrong, you are the first year student from earlier who was side-talking in the class, right?'

Gulf was trying to be normal and voice out some word but all he could do was just giving Mew a nod.

'I guess It's not as good as you think to stare at your teacher, like your life depends on it, while solving maths, Mr. Kanawut.'

From the moment Gulf entered Mew's office, he was looking down on the table in front of Mew. But, Mew's last sentence made his head spring up in shock and look at Mew's eyes.

'Come here'
Mew said, indicating the left side of his desk.
Gulf followed his words and stood next to his desk.

'Aren't you the topper of your class?' Mew looked at Gulf holding a paper in his hand. Gulf nodded again.
"So how come all the maths you solved are wrong?'

"Whaat!!" Gulf's eyes widened. He couldn't believe what Mew just said. "How can that be possible? This cannot happen, Sir. I'm sure you are mistaken"

"This is exactly what happened, Mr. Kanawut." Mew said in a cold tone while narrowing his eyes.

"And not only that, you are the only student who did all the answers wrong. Did you even read the questions before answering them or were you just staring at me during the whole time? Hmm?" asked Mew with a smirk yet in a serious tone.

Gulf didn’t know what to say or what to do. He was just standing there, trying to think about the answers he had written on the paper.
"No, how can it be possible! I can't make so many mistakes. God! What's happening!"

"After checking your paper I also checked your previous data." Mew stood up from his chair and walked around the table. He reached to the only shelf in the room and picked a yellow file which had Gulf's name on it.

"Your records are better than any other student of your class." Mew said as he headed back to his previous place. But he didn’t sit immediately; rather he stood there, placing his left palm on the table, looking straight at Gulf's eyes.

"Then what happened today? Did you forget every rule and theory?" Mew almost yelled at him while slapping his right palm in the table with a 'thud' sound. "Are you here to stare at the teachers or to study?" He said as he threw the file on the table in front of Gulf.

Gulf flinched and stepped back at that very moment. His hands started trembling and tears formed in his eyes. He was shaking and sweating all over. His heart was pounding like it was running a race. He didn’t know what to answer. He was at fault. He was guilty. Now what! What's gonna happen? Will Mew complain to the higher authority? Will he have to leave this institution just because of that? He couldn't even think about the consequences of this. He felt his brain was becoming blank.

"I-I'm really s-sorry, sir"
Gulf answered while stuttering and sobbing and looked down on his clasped and sweaty palms.
He was at the edge of crying.

Gulf was about to break into tears when he heard a chuckle come from Mew's side.
He immediately looked up only to meet a pair of eyes full of humour.

"What are you? A five years old?" Mew said while shaking his head as he laughed heartily.
"Oh man! Seriously! I thought he was lying. But I guess he was absolutely right. You are such a crybaby." 

Gulf was really very confused. Just a few moments ago Mew was about to burst into anger and now in a jiffy he was laughing like he finished watching the most funniest movie in the world. He was standing there dumbfounded with unshaded tears.