Chapter 50

After what felt like forever, the end of the day finally came. I could barely focus in class as the events of this morning continued to play over and over in my mind. I wish I had gotten the chance to tell Hakeem myself, but I had no idea how.

All I can do now is accept the fact that he knows, and hope he can find it within himself to understand my situation. I got the internship before this case even opened. I couldn't just quit once his father walked through the elevator doors.

I sigh and walk towards my locker. I haven't seen him since this morning at this very same spot. I quickly grab everything I need and begin to walk to the main doors to the parking lot. I told Ruby I would give her a ride home after her final straw with Zaria, but I wanted to see if I could catch Hakeem before he left.

Luckily for me, I catch a glimpse of him turning the corner towards the main doors as I turn into the first hallway. I speed up my pace and beat him to the exit by a few feet.

"Hakeem, hear me out. Please." I say before he even registers that I've appeared in front of him.

A scowl forms on his face as he moves to step around me.

I mirror his motion, preventing him from making his escape. "Please, Hakeem. I promise I'm on your side."

He scoffs. "Don't let your boss hear you."

"Seriously, I had no idea what to do when he walked into the firm randomly. I didn't want to be assigned to his case, but Zaria threatened to get me fired." I say as quickly as possible, trying to remain a roadblock even as he continuously tries to sidestep me.

"Get out of my way, Roxanne." He sneers. 

"No, not until you tell me how I can prove to you that I am on your side." I plead. I try to ignore the increasing stream of people walking through the hallway as everyone heads home.

"That's simple. Quit." He says. making eye contact with me for the first time during this entire exchange.

I hesitate for a second and finally stand still.

I look down at my feet. "I can't," I reply.

"Then leave me alone." He says, easily slipping right by me.

I quickly reach out and grab his wrist.

"Please. There has to be something I can do to help you win this case from inside his legal team." I say without thinking. "I would be risking my job, since I was instructed to cut ties with you, but I would be willing to do that. For you." I add in a softer tone.

He finally stops and turns to face me. He stares at me for a moment and then pulls me towards a quiet spot on the side of the hallway.

"Would you actually do that?" He asks.

"Yes. That man is cruel and twisted, he deserves to rot in prison for what he did to you." I say, careful to speak just loudly enough for him to hear me.

"Why didn't you tell me the day you found out?" He asks, staring deeply into my soul.

I squirm under his gaze. "I didn't know how to. You were in the hospital and I didn't want to add more stress to your plate. Also, your father threatened me and I didn't want you to hurt yourself trying to defend me." I say, staring down at my hands. "I was going to tell you at the restaurant, but you walked out on me."

"He threatened you?" Hakeem asks, visibly tensing.

"Yeah." I say quietly, ignoring his dismissal of everything else I said. "It's honestly kind of my fault. I threw a hot cup of coffee on to his face after he grabbed my wrist."

Hakeem's face changes into one of pure shock.

"Roxanne." He sighs, running his hand over his hair. "Look. It's not your fault. But, you need to be careful. My father is capable of terrible things."

I try not to imagine all the terrible things I've read in his case file. I wrap my arms around myself to try to give myself a sense of comfort.

"I know."

"What exactly did he say to you?" He asks.

I explain to him that his father wanted me to convince him not to testify in court. I also explained the threat he made if I don't do as he asks.

"Okay." He says, taking in a deep breath. "We need to fully discuss this somewhere else." He adds, scanning the hallway.

"Can you come over?" I ask.

"Maybe. I can't let anyone see me, if I do." He says.

I agree.

"Now, get the f-ck out of my way." He says, slightly louder than he was previously.

Before I can register his sudden change in tone, he has already shoved past me.

I turn to follow him, but stop in my tracks when I see Zaria staring directly at me from the exit.

Realization sinks in. I understand why he stormed off, now.

Zaria rolls her eyes at me and struts out of the exit.

I turn my attention away from the exit and look down the hallway.

Ruby turns the corner a second later and walks towards me. I walk in her direction and we meet right by the exit.

"You okay?" Ruby asks.

"Yeah." I reply as we step out into the parking lot.

I ask her how her day was as we walk to my car, relishing in the normalcy of our conversation.