Chapter 9

I return to the couch and sit down with my knees tucked into my chest. The only thing that's more confusing than what just happened is the homework that remains undone. I decide to push it aside and grab my phone.

I notice a text message from Damien.

Damien: Hey, I'm throwing a party tonight. You should come ;)

Me: Sounds like fun!

I call Ruby.

"Hey, you going to Damien's party?" I ask once she picks up.

"I was just going to ask you that!" She laughs, "Come over so we can get ready together."

"Once I convince my mom to let me leave the house." I laugh dryly.

"Just tell her you're staying over at my place." Ruby reasons.

"Yeah, sure. I'll text you what happens." I say before we hang up.

I check the time to see that I only have an hour until my parents get home. Getting them to let me go to a party is pretty impossible, especially so short notice, but getting them to let me go over to Ruby's for the night won't be easy either. A plan begins to form in my mind;  I quickly set it into action.

A little over an hour later, my parents walk in through the front door.

"Hi mommy. Hi daddy." I greet, giving them each hugs.

"Hey Roxy." My mom smiles, taking off her coat.

"Hey Rox. What smells so good?" My dad asks, walking towards the kitchen.

"Since it's Friday and I finished tutoring early, I decided to make you guys dinner." I explain, trying to sound as casual as possible.

"Thank you so much, sweetie." My mom smiles. "We'll be right back down to eat with you."

So far... So good. I think to myself.

I set the table and plate the food while I wait. Shortly after, they come back down, dressed more comfortably.

We sit down together and eat. My mom is very pleased and says that I should do this more often.

"It could use a bit more salt." My dad comments, being picky, as usual. He cooks a lot for us so he has a very particular way of making and seasoning food.

I nod.

We talk about our days and I make sure to slip in comments about my improvement in math. They seem genuinely proud of me. I feel a pang of guilt deep down because I'm mostly doing this to go to the party later. I push the feeling aside and return my focus to my parents.

While we're discussing school, my mom asks about Ruby.

"She's doing well. She actually asked me if I wanted to have a sleepover like old times..." I comment, trying to be nonchalant.

"A sleepover? You have a perfectly fine bedroom upstairs." My dad says, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes, that's true. But, a sleepover is about spending time with your friend. We were going to study for the test on the Tuesday a bit." I say.

My mom rolls her eyes. "No one studies at a sleepover. I wasn't born yesterday, you know."

"What's so special about Ruby's house?" My dad asks. "Are there going to be boys there?"

"No, the only boy at her house is her older brother, Trey." I say, refraining from rolling my eyes.

"Who else is going?" My dad asks.

"No one. It's just going to be Ruby and I." I explain.

"Alright. I know Ruby and I trust her parents so you can go." My mom says before my dad can continue to question me.

I vaguely remember Ruby mentioning that her parents were visiting colleges with her older brother this weekend but I conveniently leave that out.

A huge grin breaks out onto my face. "Thank you, mom!"

We finish eating shortly after. I clean up and head upstairs to finish prepping my overnight bag. I throw in a dress for the party and my makeup bag.

After I pack my necessities, I walk back downstairs with a small duffel slung over my shoulder. I find my parents in the living room bonding over a cooking competition.

"Check your cookies!" My mom yells at the television screen. My dad chuckles.

"Mom. Dad. I'm going now." I say, approaching slowly, as if walking too quickly would cause them to change their minds.

My dad looks me over carefully, seeming to assess me for any clue to what my true intentions are. Meanwhile, my mom gets up to give me a goodbye hug.

"Be careful, sweetheart. Call me when you get there." She says.

"I will, Mom." I promise. "See you guys tomorrow."

"Bye Roxy." My dad waves.

I grab my jacket and head out the door.