Chapter 1

"His head is so shiny, I can see the answers to the next test." I whisper to my best friend, Ruby, causing her and everyone who heard to laugh.

"Ms. Williams, stop disrupting my class." Mr. Smith glares at me. This is not the first time I have heard this, especially from him. I calmly nod and turn back to my notebook. I pretend to take notes as he turns back to the board.

He's currently explaining some strange symbols that supposedly belong in math. Instead of losing my sanity trying to understand I turn to Ruby. She's slightly bent over her desk, scribbling furiously into her notebook. Her long dark box braids form a curtain over her face. The only part of her that's visible is the rich brown skin of her arm.

"Are you actually taking notes?" I whisper in shock.

"Oh hėll no." She responds, revealing her notebook page. She laughs at my assumption, revealing both of her dimples. I realize that she's working on her story. She wants to be a writer. I on the other hand want to be a lawyer. There is absolutely no trigonometry in the law, which makes me very happy.

"Alright. We have about two minutes left of class so you guys can start packing up. I'm going to give you back your last test." Mr. Smith announces. "I'm very proud of the progress some of you have made. But, others... not so much." He narrows his eyes at me during his last sentence.

Why is he looking at me? I'm a great student; I think to myself as I sheepishly close my nearly blank notebook.

He's one seat away from me when I slide my notebook into my bookbag.

"Roxanne, I am very concerned about your grades. They've only been going down since the first exam." He says, handing me my folded test. "I've contacted your parents about your performance in my class. Hopefully, they can find you some extra help."

Why is he so damn loud for? I'm pretty sure everyone heard him. "Okay. I'll study harder next time." I say, hoping he'll walk away.

Thankfully he did.

It doesn't hit me what he said until Ruby leans over. "Why would he tell your parents!"

"F-ck." I groan, realizing that the end has come. "They're going to kill me."

We get up as the bell rings and start heading to lunch. "I wish I could comfort you. But, honestly, they are going to kill you." She frowns.

I sigh as we stop at our locker. "I might as well start writing my will. It was nice knowing you, Ruby. When I die you can have my curl cream." I tell her, dramatically playing with my long dark curls.

"Gee thanks." She rolls her eyes playfully. "Did you even check your grade on the test?" She asks as I switch my morning books for my afternoon books.

"Nope." I respond, popping the p. "What did you get?"

"I got an 80." She states with no emotion. "You should check."

"Why would I want to bring even more negativity into my life?" I shrug, closing the locker.

"You have to check. Your parents are going to ask later. You need to prepare yourself." Ruby says, her dark brown eyes full of concern. 

There she goes being right. "Fine." I respond, pulling out the folded piece of paper. "63." I admit.

"Well... you almost passed!" Ruby tries to cheer me up.

"The only passing I'll be doing is passing away, after my parents see this." I groan, shoving it back into my folder.

Ruby purses her lips, which means she's trying to hold in a laugh. After she successfully calms herself down she says, "Well, we're about to walk into the cafeteria. You can't walk in looking so sad."

"You're right." I say, plastering a cheerful smile on my face. Everyone at my school expects me to be the cheerful, funny, and carefree girl. I can't let them see me upset.

"Perfect." Ruby approves before pushing the doors open. This year, junior year, started only four months ago. But within that time I was able to make tons of friends. I use the term very loosely of course. These are the friends that you only talk to in school. And by talk I mean, I joke around in class and they laugh.

We're greeted by classmates as we walk towards our usual table.

"Hey Roxanne! I'm still laughing from what you said in Chemistry today." Alex, a tall Hispanic girl, says to me as she walks towards me. I laugh and give her a hug. She then continues on to her seat, as do Ruby and I.

"What'd you say in chemistry?" Ruby asks.

"It was really corny you don't want to hear it." I said.

"You have to tell me," she pouts, sitting down across from me.

"If you insist." I warn. "Why did the the gamma ray get arrested then soon released?"

"Oh no." She rolls her eyes. "Why?"

"Because it has no charge!" I finish. I'll admit that was corny but it was pretty funny.

"What?" She asks, her eyebrows raising in confusion.

"Gamma rays have no charge and you can't go to jail without being charged." I explain.

Explaining the joke always ruins it. But, I guess I'm just too intelligent to joke with commoners. Hopefully I can convince my mother of that when she brings up Trig.

After about a half an hour the bell rings, signaling the end of lunch.

"I'll see you later, Rox." Ruby hugs me before heading to her class.

I start to head to History, a class that I can actually understand.

I walk into my history class and sit in my usual seat, towards the middle of the room. The teacher, Mrs. Brown, is still writing the topic on the board so I take a second to look around.

I smile and wave at a couple people before my eyes land on a particular guy. He's sitting quietly in the front, focused completely on the board. I can tell that he's tall by the length of his legs. He has dark skin and a close cropped haircut. Noticing that I'm staring, I force myself to turn back to the lesson.

Class seems to go by very quickly and the bell rings. I shove all my books into my book bag and head out of the room. I notice the same quiet guy standing a few feet from the classroom. I decide to walk up to him. Now that I see him from the front I notice that he is very... attractive. He has full lips, nicely trimmed facial hair, and beautiful brown eyes.

"Hi!" I smile up at him. He's a lot taller than I expected, especially compared to my 5'4 height.

"Hello?" He responds, raising an eyebrow.

"I just... um... noticed you were in history with me and was wondering what's your name." I respond, slightly confused by his cold tone.

"I'm Hakeem." He says simply.

So he's not even going to ask for my name? Who does he think he is? He should be honored to know my name. I think to myself jokingly. 

"Don't you want to know my name?" I ask, raising an eyebrow in confusion.

"Nope."

-

-

-

Hey!

Vote and Comment if you liked it!

Above is a picture of box braids if you don't know what they are.

- Gaëlle <3