Chapter 27

I press my lips together to prevent them from flying open in shock. Zaria stares down at me with a mischievous smirk on her face as she sits in the leather chair beside her father.

"Let's get started." Mr. Johnson begins, once Zaria and her mother are settled.

I nod, struggling to find my voice.

"Do you have a copy of your resume?" He asks, leaning back in his chair. Even with just that simple movement, he exudes a great sense of power.

"Yes, I do." I say, quickly pulling them out of the leather folder I brought. "I have a copy for each of you." I add, handing the three copies to Mr. Johnson.

"Very nice." Mrs. Jones nods, looking over her copy.

"I see you attend the same high school as my daughter." Mr. Johnson comments. "You guys know each other?"

I look at Zaria, trying to read her expression before I respond. "Yes, sir." I say, looking away from her blank expression.

"She's Ruby's best friend." Zaria says.

"Oh." Mrs. Jones says, appearing to be deep in thought. "I think it's best if you step out of this interview then, dear. I wouldn't want your friendship to be an unfair advantage for Ms. Williams."

Zaria's neck practically snaps with the speed that she turns towards her mother. "I always help. And I'm always impartial."

"I agree with your mother." Her father nods. "It's only fair for... Roxanne is it?" He adds, looking at me for confirmation.

"Yes, sir. Roxanne." I confirm.

"But-" Zaria starts, her cool and professional demeanor breaking to reveal a whiny daughter.

"We'll see you after, Zaria." Her father says, firmly.

Zaria shoots a sharp glare my way while hurriedly gathering her belongings. She stands up and struts out of the room. Her heels angrily hitting the floor.

"I'm sorry about that, Roxanne." Mr. Johnson sighs, turning his attention back to the interview.

"It's fine." I smile, feeling more comfortable now that Zaria was not in the room. They both nod and begin asking me basic questions.

I answer them to the best of my abilities and use my observational skills to read their reactions. They both maintain fairly neutral faces, but, I notice that Mrs. Jones notes things down after my responses while Mr. Johnson looks at me with the corner of his mouth slightly lifted upward.

They ask me a couple other questions about my work ethic and other commitments.

"Good. We're finished here." Mr. Johnson says after I finish my response.

"We'll get back to you-" Mrs. Jones starts when Mr. Johnson interrupts her.

"You got the job." He says, standing up.

His wife glances up at him and a look of confusion flashes on her face, but she quickly recovers and stands up beside him.

I follow their lead and stand up as well. "Thank you so much for this opportunity." I smile, reaching out to shake their hands.

"We think you'll be a great fit." Mrs. Jones smiles.

"An email will be sent to you including more information and when you will start." Mr. Johnson says.

"Thank you. I look forward to working with you." I say, trying to keep my grin from spreading too wide.

Mr. Johnson steps around his desk and leads me to the door. "Enjoy the rest of your day."

"Thank you. You too." I say as I step out and into the reception area.

The secretary smiles at me as I walk to the elevator. I find my favorite person in the world, Zaria, already there inside an elevator. She locks eyes with me and immediately presses the door close button. I reach my purse out in between the doors.

"That's not the way you should treat your new coworker." I smirk, stepping into the elevator.

"My parents always discuss the applicant before telling them if they got the job, so I know you're lying." She sneers.

"I bet they always kick you out first, too." I say, innocently.

She rolls her eyes at me and practically pries to the doors open herself once we reach the lobby. She quickly exits and is out of the building in a flash. I take my time to text both Ruby and Hakeem about the good news. I save telling my parents for later at dinner.

With about two hours and a half until Ruby's contest starts, I drive home for lunch. I walk straight to the kitchen after I put my coat in the closet. My phone dings, signaling a text message. I expect it to be Ruby or Hakeem, but instead it's my dad saying that he's out. I text back okay and then begin my search for food.

I find some leftovers from last night's dinner and warm them up. While I wait, I quickly jog upstairs and change into more comfortable clothes.

I come back down and take my food to the island and sit down. I find a notification from Hakeem saying congratulations. We text back and forth while I eat. A giggle escapes my mouth as I read a message he sent. If someone had told me two weeks ago that I would be giggling like an idiot because of Hakeem's texts I wouldn't believe them. But, here I am.

I remember agreeing to meet Ruby before the contest at the location, so I tell Hakeem I'll talk to him later and go to get ready. I walk into my closet and assess my options. I settle on some black jeans and a thick grey sweater. The temperatures are dropping in preparation for the upcoming snow storm, so I dress accordingly. I pull my hair out of its bun and put it in a half up style.

I look at the clock and see that I have about an hour to make the thirty minute drive to the place. I grab my wallet and a small black bag before leaving my room. I pull on my knee high black heeled boots at the door and throw on my coat. As I'm walking to my car, my phone rings.

"Hello?" I answer.

"Meet me outside of the school's parking lot." Hakeem says.

"You love calling me to make demands." I say, rolling my eyes. I sit in my car and put the phone on speaker.

"Roxie, please hurry." He says, his voice pleading.

"This better be an emergency." I groan, thinking about Ruby's contest.

"It is." He says before hanging up.

"This boy." I groan again, putting the car into drive.

----

Hey hey :)

Thank you guys for 2.1k reads! I really appreciate the support (I read all the comments and they make my day) So, comment away! And vote too ;)

xoxo
-Gaëlle