Chapter 2

I stand there in shock as Hakeem walks into a classroom.

"Close your mouth, or you'll catch flies." A voice says.

"Wow you're super original." I respond, playfully rolling my eyes. I realize that I still have to get to English class, so I begin walking towards that room.

"You're just gonna walk away when I tried to help you?" He says.

I turn to the tall, brown skin guy. He has short curly hair and a toned body from playing basketball. "Yes, Damien. I am."

The bell rings just as I turn to my classroom.

"I'm late. Thanks. Now Ms. Rowell's gonna press me." I groan.

She's gonna press me like a panini. I think to myself.

"My bad." He shrugs. "I'll see you later."

I wave goodbye to him and walk into my English class.

"Nice of you to join us." Ms. Rowell says sarcastically.

"You're welcome." I smile, sliding into my seat. She narrows her eyes at before shaking her head and returning to the lesson.

After about forty minutes of the most entertaining subject ever, semicolons, we're released to our own lives.

I walk up to Ruby and I's locker to find her waiting for me.

"Hey Diamond." I grin, giving her a hug. She laughs.

Ever since I met her in middle school I've called her by different jewels along with Ruby.

"How was the rest of your day?" She asks, swapping out her books.

"It was better than trig for sure." I assured her.

"That's good." She says, "You can't handle anymore trouble today."

I nod and chuckle as we start walking out to my car. We both get in and I start on the familiar road to Ruby's house. It takes about 15 minutes of talking and singing before we arrive.

"Remember there's a math test on Tuesday!" Ruby says as she's exiting my car.

"WHAT?" I yell in shock. "But today is Wednesday."

"Yeah. Let me know if you want to study." Ruby says before disappearing into her house.

I need to do well on the next test or I'm screwed. I think to myself as I make the 5 minute drive home.

I park in front of my house and take a deep breath. I have to mentally prepare myself to speak to my parents. Why did they both have to be off work today?

I'll do better next time. I'm so sorry. I studied so much! I don't know what happened! I practice in my mind. Dåmn, even I don't believe me.

I reluctantly grab my bookbag and step out of the car. I walk up the stone path through our frozen lawn to the door and slowly slide my key into the lock. Maybe if I'm quiet enough, they won't know I'm home. Once I'm inside, I slip my jacket and boots in to the coat closet.

Peeking out of the entryway I look to my left, and then to my right. All clear! I start to tiptoe to the stairs.

Just one more step...

"Roxanne!" My father's deep booming voice calls.

Good thing my name is Margaret. I think to myself, trying to stall as much as possible.

"Girl, if you don't get yourself in here right now!" My mother yells.

"I'm coming." I respond, quickly following their voices to the kitchen. I walk in and find my dad sitting on a stool by the counter. His tall and muscular build doesn't help calm my nerves. My mom stood with her arms crossed, staring directly at me. The few inches she has on me make me feel like I'm being surrounded.

"Hello mom. Hi dad." I say, looking down at my feet.

"Why is it that your math teacher had to call to complain about you today?" She yells, anger taking over her.

I know better than to respond so I merely stand there, head down, with my arms wrapped around my waist.

"Are you stupid Roxanne? All you do is joke around. It's time you take your education seriously!" She continues to yell. "We work hard day in and day out to provide for you and this is how you repay us?"

Oh no. I'm not prepared for this. I prepared for cruel words and insults, not this. Tears begin to well up in my eyes as my mom lists out all the sacrifices they've made for me. Her words leave me feeling like a failure. I feel like I've let them down and I immediately regret my actions.

"Your teacher also told us you have a test next week, Tuesday." My father adds. "We arranged for Mr. Smith to assign you a tutor. You're going to work with the tutor everyday after school until your test."

"Give me your phone." My mother demands, putting out her hand.

But, my snapchat streaks! I pout to myself. Reluctantly, I place my phone into her hand.

"And don't come home if you get less than an 80." She adds, putting my phone in her pocket.

Tears immediately start pouring down my face. I turn around and run to my room. I want to slam my door but, I also want to live. So I settle for sobbing into my pillow. How could she say that?

I lay there sobbing until I physically can't cry anymore. I change into some pajamas and fall asleep.