Chapter 17

Today is the day. Today is the day where I prove to Mr. Smith that my hard work has paid off. I think this to myself as I walk into trig the next day.

It's been almost a week since I started working with Hakeem and I'm excited to finally see how it helps me on the test.

I slide into my seat next to Ruby. "You ready?" I ask.

"Of course. I'm always ready." She says, cracking her knuckles.

"That's what I like to hear." I grin, pulling out two sharp pencils and a calculator.

Mr. Smith grabs the stack of tests on his desk and approaches the front of the room, near Zaria's seat.

"I have other work you can do if you feel you're not ready for the test." He says.

"I can take it." She says, putting out her hand for a test paper.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes." She answers confidently.

"Okay." He says, handing her a test. "Class, you have the entire period to complete this test. Good luck." He adds, handing out the rest of the papers.

I look at the sheet that lands on my desk. A smile forms on my face. Normally, I would realize I don't know the first question and move on to the next. Unfortunately, this led to me starting at the back for most tests.

This test was different, though. I actually understood what was before me and was able to complete the first problem quickly.

I run through the test, only stalling for a few problems. I manage to finish right before the bell rings. I look at my paper with pride. I didn't have to guess this time!

I look up to find Zaria already packed up and waiting. Ruby darkens her last circle and looks up as well. On our way out, we hang in the testing materials.

"What did you guys think?" Ruby asks.

"It was alright." Zaria says just as I exclaim, "I definitely passed this time."

"Yeah, I guess studying does help." Ruby laughs.

"Especially when your study partner is cute." Zaria adds with a wink at Ruby.

"You guys studied together?" I ask, wondering why I wasn't told.

"Yeah. You had Hakeem, so I didn't think to tell you." Ruby explains.

"I see." I mutter, not really liking the excuse.

We walk in to the loud disarray that is the cafeteria. The friendly greetings we receive on our way to our seats have expanded to include Zaria. It's astonishing how quickly she assimilated into our school.

"Speaking of telling you stuff..." Ruby says, sliding into her seat. "I have an announcement!"

"You're getting married!" I joke.

"Yes. But, besides that." Ruby laughs.

"You're having a baby?" I add.

"Nope. But, my baby is getting recognized at a writing contest this Saturday!" She squeals, referring to her poetry as her baby.

"Oh my gosh! That's amazing!" I squeal. Zaria joins in on the cheer and wraps Ruby in her arms.

"What time is it? How's it going to work?" I ask once we've drawn enough attention with our noise.

"It's Saturday at 3pm." Ruby clarifies. "All the contestants will read their piece aloud and later the judges will award first, second, and third place."

"This is such a great opportunity for you!" Zaria says.

"I know right! You guys have to be there to support me." Ruby insists.

"Obviously." I respond.

We spend the rest of the period excitedly planning outfits for Saturday. At the end, we leave and head to our next classes.

"Hey, Hakeem." I say as Zaria and I approach him outside the classroom.

"Hi."

"Hey!" Zaria says with her usual cheer.

"Zaria, how are you?" He responds with a lot more an enthusiasm than he used for me.

I roll my eyes. I'm about to step into the room—and out of the nerd talk that Hakeem and Zaria are engaging in—when a strong hand pulls me back.

I turn around to find Damien. "Oh. Hi."

"Hey, I feel like I haven't seen you in forever." He says, pulling me into a hug.

"Oh, has it been that long?" I ask, hugging him back.

"Yeah, I've been looking for you." He says. "I want to ask you a question." He adds, pulling away to look me in the eye.

"What's up?" I ask, feeling the eyes of Hakeem and Zaria on me.

"Can I take you out this Saturday?" He asks. I hear Hakeem scoff.

I feel claustrophobic all of a sudden. I look into his warm brown eyes, but I don't feel anything. I don't want to go on a date with him, but I don't want to hurt him, either. "Ruby has a writing contest on Saturday. Sorry." I say, feigning disappointment.

"We can go for dinner after it." He insists.

"We're going to celebrate after." I say, although we didn't plan for this.

Before he can respond, Mrs. Brown peeks her head out of her room. "Class is about to start, guys." She says.

"Sorry, gotta go!" I say, practically running into the classroom.

Sitting in my seat, I feel really bad for leaving Damien outside like that. I try to push the guilt aside and focus on the class. I'm Mrs. Brown's favorite and I don't want to ruin that.

She poses a question to the class. It's open to debate, so my hand shoots up immediately. I love debating things.

Mrs. Brown calls on me. I give my answer, speaking with confidence and poise. She nods her head. "That's a good way to look at it. Does anyone disagree with Roxanne?"

To my surprise, Zaria raises her hand and gives a counter. Mrs. Brown is delighted with the thought of a debate. "Very well said, Zaria!" She compliments before posing some more questions about our responses. A few more students join in the debate, with Hakeem jumping in to support a point Zaria made.

Mrs. Brown closes the discussion. "That was wonderful, everyone. There's only a minute left, so you can start packing up."

I walk out with Zaria and head to my final class of the day.

At the end of the day, I walk to Ruby and I's locker. I open it and find that her stuff is already gone. I pull out my phone and call her.

"Hey, I'm at the locker. Where are you?" I ask as I begin pulling my stuff out.

"Oh..." She responds. "I'm already in Zaria's car. I thought you had tutoring today."

I roll my eyes and slam the locker shut. "The test was today." I say, trying to remain calm.

"I'm sorry. I didn't realize." Ruby says. "I'll see you tomorrow morning."

"Okay. Get home safe." I say, hanging up. I feel hurt that she was so eager to leave me for Zaria. But, I try to understand that they're into each other and I'll have to deal with more of this if they become official.

I make the lonely drive home and run up to my room when I arrive. I am about to change out of my outside clothes when my phone dings. It's the sound of a new email.

I check it to find that it's an email from the law firm I applied to. Once I read "Congratulations" I start squealing. I'm jumping up and down while reading the rest of the email. They're giving me an interview. I quickly respond that I am available and excited about the opportunity.

What a great way to end an okay day. I think to myself before putting on some celebratory music.