Chapter 53

I make it home without any issues. I let out a sigh of relief as I shut the front door behind me. It feels comforting knowing that I have survived another day at the firm. I won't have to go back until Thursday, meaning I can spend tomorrow afternoon doing something less stressful. 

I hang up my coat and take off my shoes before going up the stairs to my room. I can hear my parents muffled voices in their room, so I yell a quick hello. 

I enter my room and quickly take off my work clothes. I go into the bathroom and take a quick shower to wash the stress of being at the firm off of me. I come out of the bathroom twenty minutes later feeling rejuvenated. 

I get dressed in some warm, cozy pajamas and use the rest of my evening to do some homework. 

-----------------

The next morning I go through my normal routine, including driving Ruby to school. It feels good having my best friend by my side after having to compete with Zaria for her time. 

I learn from Ruby just how much of an actress Zaria can be, which also explains her father's misconception of her being an honest hard worker. 

We continue to giggle back and forth about the situation until it is time to head to our first period classes. I give Ruby a tight hug and we part ways. 

The day itself flies by with no notable issues. 

It's not until the end of the day that I receive a text message from Hakeem telling me to meet him at this random street corner after school. 

It's a strange request, but everything has been strange ever since I learned about his family problems. 

I text him back a confirmation and let him know that I will pass by after I drop Ruby off at home. 

With that, I place my phone into my pocket and head over to Ruby at our locker. 

Surprisingly, Damien and Rhondel walk up to the locker a few moments after I reach it. I haven't seen them in a while, I assumed that they had finally taken the hint and given up. 

Ruby and I look at each other in confusion, but neither of us says anything to the guys. 

"Hey, Roxanne." Damien says, leaning against the locker to my right. 

I raise an eyebrow at him. "Hello." 

"How are you?" 

"I'm great. Can I help you with something?" I respond, feeling a bit apprehensive. His demeanor is a lot more reserved than the past few times I have interacted with him. 

"I just wanted to talk to you. It's been a minute." He says, his voice low. 

"Okay. Is there something on your mind?" I ask. Usually he's overly expressive, but right now he's being strangely quiet. I turn to fully face him, feeling like I should actually take him seriously. 

"Yeah. I've obviously seen the news and connected the dots." He starts. "I know you made your choice. Between me and Hakeem. But, I just wanted to say you should really be careful. His father has done some terrible things. I really don't want to see you get hurt." He says, staring intensely at me. 

I'm completely taken aback by his comments and his tone of voice. I knew the case was being covered by different news outlets, but it hadn't really clicked that people outside of my immediate circle know about the position I am in. 

With everything I have already seen in my interactions with Hakeem's father, I understand why Damien is expressing concern. Honestly, everyone who has spoken to me about the situation that cares about me have expressed the same concern. 

I genuinely wish there was a way for me to remove myself from the situation. But, it's already too late. 

"I appreciate your concern. I'll be fine, don't worry." I say, unsure of how else to respond. 

"I hope so, Roxie." He says, sighing softly. "Don't forget though. You deserve to be with someone who makes your life better, not worse." 

Now this is more like the Damien I know. 

Noticing my silence, he continues, "Just know you can have better. Like dates where you don't have to look over your shoulder." 

"Okay, Damien. Clearly you're still thinking about yourself. And to think I almost thought you were being genuine." I say, rolling my eyes at his shameless self promotion. 

"I am being genuine. I'm thinking about you, Roxie. About us." He says, stepping forward. 

He's so close that I can feel the warmth radiating off of his body. 

Before I can take a step back, he steps to the side and walks off. I turn to see Rhondel follow his lead and disappear down the hallway with him. 

Ruby and I turn to look at each other in unison, both of our faces expressing confusion. 

"What was that about. I thought we got rid of them." I say, shaking my head. 

"I don't even know. Rhondel was actually being normal for once. Before Damien walked off, at least." Ruby replies.

"Weird." I say, turning back to our locker. 

We finish gathering our items while speculating about what just happened. 

I want to just brush it off like I normally do with my interactions with Damien. But, this time felt different. Even though he clearly is still competing with Hakeem in his head, he does make a fair point about how stressful and scary a lot of the events surrounding me being with Hakeem have been. 

I push the thought to the back of my head as Ruby and I walk out of the school building and towards my car. 

When we get in I immediately turn up the heat and place my cold hands up against the warm blast of air. 

"Roxie." Ruby says, her tone serious. 

"Ruby," I reply, raising an eyebrow at her. 

"Do you actually think Hakeem is worth everything you've had to go through?" She asks. 

I stare at her in complete shock. I did not expect that question from her, at all. But, she might be the only person who knows everything I've been feeling ever since I met Hakeem. 

I open my mouth to answer her, but nothing comes out. 

"He hasn't even asked you out properly, yet." She adds.

"He's going through a lot right now, Ruby. I can't expect him to be worried about that right now." I say. "Yeah, I wish it was all roses and rainbows. You know I hate stressful situations and difficult decisions. But, I just have to see where this goes. I feel like he would be great if he didn't have so much going on." 

"Is that going to change any time soon, though?" She asks. 

"I don't know. I hope so." I say. "Honestly, I don't feel like talking about this right now." 

The topic is too heavy, I've already been using enough of my braincells ever since I met Hakeem. First, I had to actually try in trig. Now, I have to critically analyze my life everyday. 

I let out a deep sigh. "I'm just overwhelmed, Ruby. I don't know what the right thing to do is. All I can do is be as careful as possible and follow my heart." 

"Alright, sis. I'm here for you, no matter what." She says, opening her arms for a hug. 

I lean into her hug for a few moments before leaning back and shifting my attention to driving her home. 

--------

Hi hi hi!
I don't even know what to say at this point, I've just been way too busy with school and life to write :( But, I missed this story so much I had to come back and update. I'll try my best to get some more chapters out to you all in the next few weeks. 

Thank you so much for 72.5k reads!!! I'm genuinely like wowww 

I hope y'all enjoyed this chapter! 

Please let me know your thoughts in the comments! Do you think Roxie is too invested? LMK LMK!

xoxo
Gaëlle