Chapter 52

After school, I quickly drop Ruby off at her house and rush home to get ready for another evening at the Johnson & Johnson law firm. 

My parents are both home today and my dad has a warm plate of food ready for me by the time I walk into the kitchen. I chose to wear a simple black pantsuit with a crisp white button up. I matched it with a pair of black pumps. 

If I have to play the role of a hardworking, honest intern, I might as well dress for it.  

"What kind of cases do they have you working on over there?" My dad asks after I thank him for the food. 

I hesitate to answer and shovel in a forkful of rice into my mouth as a way to stall.

Why had I not anticipated that this would come up? 

Telling them the truth would probably lead to a lecture of some sort, especially if it gets back to my mom. But, lying to them is so difficult. They can usually see right through me. 

"Well, honestly I'm just doing a lot of paperwork and filing for different cases. So it includes things from contracts to criminal defense. It's a big firm, so they are working on tons of different cases at one time." I say, finally. It's the truth. I just don't want to worry them. 

"Okay. That's good. I saw something on the news about a high profile criminal being defended by your firm. What do you know about that?" He asks, leaning against the counter across from me. 

"Yeah, I heard something about that, too. But, unfortunately, I am legally not allowed to share what I know about that." I say as nonchalantly as I can. I focus my gaze on my plate to avoid looking my dad in his eyes. 

"Okay, Ms. Lawyer. Don't tell your father." He chuckles. 

"Sorry." I reply, letting out a nervous laugh. 

I quickly finish what is left on my plate. "Thank you again, dad. I have to go now, before I'm late."

"Okay, Roxie. I'll see you later." He says, taking my plate from me and giving me a hug. 

"Later." I respond, gathering my belongings before leaving to get into my car. 

---------------------------

Exactly 24 minutes later, I am walking into the infamous elevator at the firm. I ride it up with the sound of my heart beating in my ears. I try to take subtle deep breathes as I step off to prepare myself for the shift that awaits me. 

"Good afternoon, Roxanne." Debbie greets me. 

"Good afternoon, Debbie." I respond, plastering a fake smile onto my face. 

"I forgot to ask you this last time, but is everything okay with your mother?" She asks, concern clear on her face. 

My mother? 

I am confused for a moment before I remember my embarrassing exit on Thursday. 

"She's great, now. Thank you for asking." I say, feeling a pang of guilt for lying about my mother's health. 

"That's wonderful news." Debbie smiles. "I believe Zaria is in her office waiting for you with your tasks for today." 

I thank her and walk to the office I share with Zaria.

Sure enough, she is already sitting there with a stack of file folders on her desk. 

I walk in without a word. 

"Oh. You actually made it in, today." She says. 

"Of course, I couldn't miss a second of quality time with my least favorite spoiled brat." I respond with a fake smile.