Chapter 4

"Your tutor?" Mr. Smith says, flipping through a couple sheets. "Oh I can't seem to find him. Can I tell you tomorrow?" He smirks.

"I'm pretty sure you've said that copying shows a lack of intelligence." I smile, using his own words against him.

His smirk drops and his usual glare returns. "Just meet him in the library after school." He says, moving to the next student.

After he completes the homework check, he returns to the board. He puts up the answers to the questions we were assigned to complete and begins to explain them. Within about five minutes of his explanation my brain begins to melt.

Okay fine I may be exaggerating but that's what it feels like.

Fortunately, the bell rings and I'm set free.

"Let's go." I say to Ruby, she's still finishing up a sentence. She nods. I look around at the few lingering students as I wait.

"Done." She declares, a minute later. She puts her notebook into her bag and gets up. We both walk out of the classroom, finally heading towards lunch.

Ruby and I are discussing how are days have been going so far when we see a small group of people huddled near a locker.

They don't see us coming, so when we're only a foot or two away I overhear something of interest in their conversation.

"Hakeem really flipped out this morning." The average height, brown skinned boy named Jayden says.

"Yeah, I don't know why he got so mad, Roxanne seems like a sweet person." The blonde girl says. I haven't seen her around enough to know her name.

"Seems." Sandra, a tall brunette responds. "Maybe he knows something about her that we don't." She shrugs.

I roll my eyes at the comment. People in this school can never just mind their own business. Ruby steps forward and pulls on Sandra's shoulder. Ruby is two inches taller than me, but Sandra still towers over her.

"Maybe you should learn to mind your own business, you tree a** b-tch." She says.

Sandra immediately recoils, realizing that we overheard her statement.

"And you." Ruby says, pointing a finger at Jayden. "Should enroll in the same class."

I grab Ruby's hand and tug her towards the cafeteria.

"I don't want to hear anything else about Hakeem for the rest of the day." Ruby mutters as we part ways with Sandra, Jayden, and the other girl.

"Facts. I'm over it." I agree, opening the door to the cafeteria.

But, of course, no one else is. Ruby and I attempt walk to our table but we are stopped by several people asking about Hakeem's hatred towards me.

"Damn, can we sit down?" Ruby exclaims, starting to push past the small crowd.

Look at my best friend, acting like Moses.

I shrug and follow Ruby to our seats. Once we sit, I pull out my phone.

"Lunch ends in literally five minutes." I groan, noticing the time.

Ruby sighs, but continues to eat her food.

I scroll through Snapchat while she eats. I'm about to show her something when the bell rings. I notice that her bowl is empty and her mouth is full.

"You ate all that in five minutes?" I ask, my eyebrows shooting up.

She finishes chewing before saying, "A b-tch gotta eat."

"You right." I laugh, walking out of the cafeteria with her. "By the way, I have to go meet with a tutor for trig in the library after school." I add when we are about to part ways.

"Oh." She says with a frown. "I'm going to have to take the bus?" She pouts.

"I'm really sorry. But, you can ask Rhondel to drop you off." I suggest.

"I don't want that... person to know where I live." She says pursing her lips in disgust.

I laugh, "Well, I have to go until I next week at least."

"Alright. Good luck." She hugs me before leaving.

I quickly walk to history class. The bell rings as I'm walking in. I don't want to be marked late so I start speed walking. I try to zoom past Hakeem's desk, but he decides to introduce me to a friend.

The floor. I yelp as my face, my beautiful perfectly clear face, hits the floor.

--------
This chapter keeps messing up, Idk what Wattpad is trying to do but if you notice any inconsistencies please comment and let me know :)