Chapter 51

The next day, I am awoken by the sound of my alarm blaring on my nightstand.

I let out a quiet groan as I reach to turn the alarm off.

A deep frown forms on my face as I remember the reality I am waking up to. I squeeze my eyes shut, hoping to transport back to the dream world where I'm traveling the world without a care.

Unfortunately, I am still in my room when I open my eyes again.

With a final sigh, I get up and head to the bathroom to get ready for the day.

Hakeem texted me last night about coming over, but he was worried that too many people saw us talking at school yesterday. I also realized that my mom was home, so it just was not a good idea.

We decided that I would pretend that he's refusing to speak to me after I asked him not testify against his father. He said that would make his father think that I tried to help him, but there was no guarantee that he would leave me alone after that.

I was going to try that later today, since I am working after school.

About 25 minutes after exiting the bathroom, I head downstairs for a quick breakfast.

I run through the rest of my morning routine with ease and end up at my locker with Ruby before the start of first period.

I saw no sign of either Hakeem or Zaria, which left me with a relatively routine morning compared the ones I have been having.

I do miss Hakeem, though. I wish being with him could be simple.

By the time the end of lunch rolls around, I find myself eager to go to History class. It's the one class I share with Hakeem, so even though we're not speaking publicly, I can see him there. Zaria is also in the class, so I have to be careful not to tip her off. But, it'll be worth it to be in the same room as him.

I try to control my facial expressions as I walk down the last empty hall to class.

Just as I am walking by an empty classroom, I feel a strong arm wrap around my waist and yank me into the room. Before my mouth can even open to let out a scream, a large hand covers it. I am pulled into the dark classroom, even as I punch and kick at my assailant.

"Roxie. Chill." The person says.

I immediately stop my attacks. What is this idiot's problem?

"Please don't scream. I'm letting you go now." He says, releasing me.

"Have you lost your last brain cell?" I ask, trying to gather myself.

"Maybe." Hakeem smirks. "I've missed you."

I try to ignore the warm flush I feel cover my face.

"You saw me yesterday." I say, knowing that I missed him, too.

"I didn't get to do what I wanted yesterday, though. I was thrown off by your act of treason." He says, shrugging.

"I'm sorry," I apologize again. "What did you want to do?"

"This." He says, pulling me close to him. He gently guides my chin up with his finger before he leans down and places a soft kiss on my lips.

The kiss sends ripples of emotion through my body. I slowly reach up and wrap my arms around his neck.

We pull away, remaining in each other's arms. He sits on the desk behind him, allowing me to keep my arms around him without tip toeing.

"That doesn't explain Saturday." I say after a moment of just enjoying being in his arms.

"Oh. At the restaurant?" He asks.

I nod.

"I recognized the man in a car outside of the restaurant. He's my father's right hand man from what I remember. I knew that if they found out just how much I care about you, they would use that to their advantage." He explains. "So, I stormed out in an attempt to make it seem like you didn't matter to me. I'm sorry that I didn't explain myself sooner. I didn't want you to be scared."

"Since I didn't tell you about work, you didn't want me to get involved by association." I say, working through his explanation out loud.

"Yes. I just wanted to protect you in any way that I could." He says, a hint of sadness in his voice. "I'm sorry I couldn't do a better job."

"It's not your fault. I'm here for you, no matter what happens." I say, realizing that I am in way deeper than I originally thought.

He leans down for another sweet kiss, causing the worries in my mind to slip away.

The sound of the bell ringing shocks us out of our embrace.

I had completely forgotten about History class when I found myself in this dark classroom with Hakeem.

"You go ahead. I'll walk in a few minutes after you. Remember, we're not talking." Hakeem says.

I nod, "Okay. I'll see you soon."

I pat down my hair and clothes, making sure that I don't look as disheveled as I feel. Then, I quickly exit the classroom, slipping seamlessly into the flow of students moving to their next classes.