Chapter 15

Hey! The picture above is Zaria with darker hair. Enjoy the chapter :) 

----------

Monday morning, I wake up and get ready for another week of school. I run through my normal routine and arrive in front of Ruby's house after 45 minutes. To my surprise, she runs out as soon as I text her that I'm outside.

"Good morning, Rox!" She grins. She appears to be glowing with joy, which causes me to raise an eyebrow.

"Are you feeling okay?" I ask, placing the back of my hand on her forehead. I find that she's a normal temperature, but my suspicions remain.

"I feel amazing. I'm just excited to go to school." She says, her grin nearly breaking her face in half.

I begin driving us towards school. "Either you're an alien sent here to replace my best friend, or you hit your head and got amnesia."

Ruby laughs.

I am shocked by her lack of a sarcastic comeback.

A few minutes later, we arrive in the parking lot of our school. As usual there are cliques gossiping as they enter the building. Some linger near cars since there are still ten minutes before the first bell rings. However, something feels different. There seems to be a buzz of excitement running through the student body.

Maybe Mr. Smith finally got fired. I mentally hope.

Ruby links arms with me and nearly drags me towards the big brown doors of the building. Damien and Rhondel are loitering in their normal spot by the door.

"Sup short stack," Rhondel greets, referring to Ruby. Usually, she would give him a fake smile or simply ignore him. But, today she gives him a toothy grin and verbally greets him. Even Damien's eyebrows shoot up in shock.

"Hey Rox." He says, still looking at Ruby with concern on his face.

Before I can respond, I am being pulled through the double doors and into the warm school building.

"Why are you so excited?" I ask, genuinely curious.

Unfortunately, Ruby is engrossed in her phone and doesn't hear my question. We arrive at our locker and I open it. I take out my books and move aside to let Ruby get hers.

I sigh loudly when I see her smiling at her phone screen. "Ruby. Get your books we only have a few minutes before the bell rings." I say, poking her shoulder.

"Oh!" She exclaims, snapping back to reality. "Sorry." She adds, pulling out her books. She closes the locker.

I am just about to repeat my earlier question when she checks the clock. "I can't be late! I'll see you in trig." She exclaims before giving me a quick hug and rushing off to her class. I turn around and head to my first period, promising to figure out what's up with her, later.

------

After three torturous periods, I begin walking to trig. I normally enjoy my classes before trig, but I've been thinking about Ruby's strange behavior all morning. It doesn't help that the entire school is buzzing about some new student—who I have not even seen!

I walk into trig and sit in my seat, hoping for some normalcy.

"Hey, Topaz." I say, turning to Ruby.

"You know a lot of gem names." She says.

"I gotta keep you guessing." I tease.

"Good morning, class." Mr. Smith booms from the front of the room, grabbing everyone's attention. "Today we're goi-" He is interrupted by the classroom door swinging open.

In walks the reason the school has been abuzz all day. Ironically, everyone goes silent as the tall, slim, caramel skinned girl walks in. Her naturally curly hair frames her high cheekbones and sharp jawline. Even though she's wearing a gray hoodie and dark wash jeans, she looks like she just stepped out of a magazine. I turn to Ruby to find her staring with a small smile on her face.

"I'm guessing you're Zaria?" Mr. Smith says. "Congratulations on interrupting my class. Have a seat."

"I'm sorry, Mr. Smith." She says, sitting in an empty seat in the second row. She turns around to wave at Ruby while Mr. Smith begins to write on the board. Ruby waves back.

It all makes sense now. This is the reason why Ruby has been acting so strangely. "You have a crush..." I whisper, poking her arm.

"Just like you." She winks.

"I do not!" I insist. Maybe a little too loudly because Mr. Smith sends a glare my way.

"Can I just have one class without a disruption from you, Ms. Williams?" He asks.

"Sorry." I say turning back to my desk.

"Now, can someone tell me what the answer to the second do now question is?" He asks, turning his attention back to the class.

"We didn't even have time to do it." I mutter.

Zaria's hand shoots up. Mr. Smith calls on her. She gives an answer and is promptly praised by Mr. Smith. After going over the final question, Mr. Smith calls for homework to be taken out.

"I don't expect you to have it, Zaria. If you need some help adjusting to my class, just ask." Mr. Smith says as he begins to collect the work.

"I have it." She says, shocking Mr. Smith and everyone else in the class. "I met someone who's in your class Friday and asked about the work. I wanted to be caught up when I came in today."

"Wow." He says, taking the assignment. "I know people who've been here all year and still don't do the homework." He adds, taking a jab at me. She lets out a lighthearted laugh at his comment.

Upon arrival at my desk he stops. "Should I give you another minute to pretend to search for the assignment?"

"I have it." I say, handing him the paper. He looks over the paper and nods. Without another word, he continues to the next person.

"Damn, he does not like you." Ruby says once he's out of earshot.

"Yup." I shrug. "Haters gonna hate."

"You told him he looked like a crystal ball on the first day of school." Ruby points out, raising an eyebrow at me.

"I thought he had a sense of humor." I try to defend myself.

She shakes her head, holding back laughter.

Mr. Smith turns our attention back to the front of the room as he begins the review for the test tomorrow. I pay attention for once because I know my parents are going to ask about the grade.

After the lesson, I feel fairly confident about the test. I would be lying if I said that Hakeem's tutoring sessions weren't extremely helpful.

Ruby is out of her seat as soon as the bell rings, differing from her usual lingering. Zaria comes toward Ruby's desk and gives her a hug. "Hi! I'm so glad we have this class together."

"Me too! You have lunch next, right?"

"Yes!" She grins, showing off her perfect white teeth. "You must be Roxanne. I've heard a lot about you." She adds, turning to me.

"Only good things I hope." I smile, her twinkling hazel eyes meeting mine. She lets out another laugh and we begin to exit the classroom. 

On our walk to lunch, I get a chance to get to know Zaria and why Ruby finds her so captivating.