Chapter 15: Amore (Day 5) Edited

"Are you okay?" you asked Jeff.

"Yeah, of course," he replied, pulling your hand in the car. He sat behind the weird driver and you sat next to him.

The guy started the engine the second you closed the door. You were racing down the street well over the speed-limit. The car dodged people left and right. You were sure police were on to you by then. The moment passed as quick as a dove feeding on a crow, but it was longer in your mind. Probably because you had to enjoy every living moment you had when faced with the bars of death.

"What the hell?" Jeff yelled at the driver. "We had a deal!"

Deal... Deal. He lied. He lied again. He was keeping everything from you. You shouldn't have trusted him back when you got the feeling something was wrong. Any normal person would have ran for their life and separated themselves from the enemy for all eternity. What were you thinking? Why was that question asked so many times? How foolish were you?

"Oh, excuse my actions," the driver said calmly. "It's a habit."

"Jeff... What's going on with everything? How do you know all these people?" you asked. "What aren't you telling me?"

He stayed silent for a second and then replied, "I told you, I would never lie to you, but there are some things I can't tell you just yet."

Again, any secret so terrible means more to the people it affects. And you knew that all of that secrecy would hurt you more than anyone else. Not even Jeff. Not if he was the one keeping the secrets.

"We're here," the driver said.

It was quick, but you did speed the whole way. Almost like speeding through time. But anyways, you and Jeff hopped gladly out of the vehicle and made your way towards the Eiffel Tower after paying your respects. You expected to spend the entire day there waiting in line once you saw the crowd of people around it. Must've been a popular tourist time. You had never seen so many people in one place before.

You had a while to spare, so Jeff tried to make some conversation that got more awkward as it went on. He talked about how weird the taxi guy was and how he would never let that happen again. He cared about you, and he didn't want you getting in a wreck all because he didn't pay attention to the backgrounds of the drivers.

"Yeah," you said coldly.

You never told the driver where to go, nor did he. And that didn't make any sense to you. Jeff knew he slipped up, but he didn't bother to fix what he had already started. He figured that he would just have to wait until the end of the day and try to retrace his steps back to the days when things weren't so complicated. He would try to caress you like he was at the moment with his arm over your shoulder and his head leaning onto yours like a soldier trying to keep the little sanity he has-

What were you thinking about again? Whatever... You were excited to spend time with Jeff at the top of the tower. It was one of the most romantic spots on the globe.

"Did you bring a camera?" Jeff asked.

"Mhm," you assured. "I want to capture everything I can on this thing."

"Just no pictures of me though," he stated.

Was he camera shy? That was new. Would it be a bad idea to try it out? Maybe it would be cute... A candid picture of him with the Eiffel Tower in the background? You decided to pull the camera out of your bag anyways and point it at the right spot when Jeff wasn't looking.

Snap.

It was a nice picture. He seemed pretty relieved in it. Like he was at a nirvana.

"Hey!" he exclaimed. "That wasn't funny!"

You chuckled at him and held the camera behind your back. His angered look quickly turned to melancholy, so you showed him the image with a smile on your face. He didn't appear surprised or anything. He actually laughed a little and acknowledged your amazing photo-taking skills.

"Let's just go inside now," he mumbled, dragging you along.

You had waited for hours in that line, and it was finally time to go inside. Sure, nighttime had already stretched across the skyline, but the moon was still hidden behind the sporadic cloud formations that worked to your merit. You really appreciated the way Jeff looked at you on the way up and described the last time he saw the city lights at night.

"They were like stars," he said. "They were all like little twinkles of light fighting to be noticed by the sun. They wanted to be as bright as possible so that they could reach every corner of the small universe in my vision and prove to be worthy of attention. Over and over again, they flickered in and out, and every single one rotated around a single axis which was the tower itself. I can't even describe the way each one would dance in midair in some sort of synchronized harmony."

By then, you were overlooking those stars yourself from the highest balcony in Paris.

Jeff mentioned, "See that one over there? The one just above that building?"

"That's the moon," you replied. "Is there something special about it?"

"It's the leader," he stated. "That's the star that leads all the others to victory in their ongoing battle to find the sun. Every day, the sun rolls around the earth searching for one soul that could save her from her inevitable ending that would bring the end of all eternity. Little does she know that the moon has been searching for her. The moon chases the sun as the sun chases the moon."

What a beautiful tale.

"The sun gets tired of waiting sometimes. She doesn't know that the moon puts so much pride and dignity in his search. All his soldiers try their hardest to never die on him as a result. They're always shining. And every so often, the moon loses its light by the earth. But it would never give up. It could never give up on true love."

"But wouldn't it die too at some point?" you questioned. "Wouldn't its light die after so many rotations? Would it just not come back one day?"

"That's the question of the century," Jeff replied. "No one's ever witnessed that, so no one knows if it's possible. But everyone seems to the think that the sun will be the first to fall... It's sad. If I was the moon, I would never let the sun feel like she was alone."

For a second, you could feel his fingers brush against yours. Next thing you knew, they were intertwined magnificently.

"You know," you started to say, "I think I've really gotten to know you better."

"You think?"

"I mean, after losing my memories, it's been hard... but you've been there," you said. You breathed steadily, hoping that he wouldn't take it the wrong way. But to your relief, he grasped your hand a little tighter and gazed over at you. His eyes were searching for a sign of emotion in yours, and you were doing the same to him. Luckily, there was a tiny sparkle of light in his pupils that came from the soldiers above your head. They were shining a stroke of luck down at you as they whispered the ways of the wind and then returned to their original battle.

In an instant, Jeff's hand was by your face and you closed your eyes.

The moment you felt your lips touch his, you knew.

You knew that you loved him.