Chapter 8: Amnesia (Day 2) Edited

It was silent.

After passing out for what seemed like only a second, you questioned your surroundings. The ceiling wasn't the same color as the one you previously saw. Instead, it was a dark grey with a hint of blue. Kind of like a cloudy night sky. And the moon was surrounded by tiny, white stars that sparkled and danced around in your weightless head.

What were you thinking about?

A headache was the next thing you noticed. You must have been pondering about something stressful. The only time you ever got headaches was when you were presented with too much anxiety or your dreamless thoughts got the better of you. Oh, and your heart was beating like crazy too. Almost like a bull trying to escape its pen. It was telling you something. Why did it tell you to run?

You felt energy flowing inside your veins, building up slowly. It just didn't stop. Somehow it shivered you like bugs crawling around your insides. Or maybe they were the ones coming from the ground. The grass under you was cold and wet, so it didn't make much of a nice place to sleep. A sorrowful splendor was in your midst, but you didn't care enough to find out why it was there. The chains of calming peace kept you planted firmly on the ground, but you didn't mind. No, you didn't feel the need to do anything but what you needed to do. And you were obligated to enjoy the calming waters you somehow knew you had been waiting under for so long.

Just as the thought crossed your mind, a door opened on the house beside you. Jumping from the sudden change, your eyes drifted over to the person that stood in the frame. He stared at you with a large, heartwarming smile. His rufous hair blew from his sapphire eyes as the wind added class to his steps down the stairs of the porch. Both of his hands were devoured in his pockets and a portion of his black pants were tucked into the front of his matching boots. And the white jacket he wore seemed almost unfit for the chilly temperature outside.

"Were you napping out here?" he asked, looming over your head.

"I... I don't know," you replied.

The boy's pupils led you to believe that demons only existed within oneself.

"Who... are you?"

"What do you mean?" He almost choked on his own words.

You couldn't remember anything. You desperately searched your mind for any trace of who this guy was or who you were supposed to be. It was like you had your finger wrapped around the subject, but you couldn't figure out any details. Every single thought you had ever wondered about this boy didn't matter anymore, yet you still didn't feel the need to question his sanity or run away in fear. You felt safe, but still, none of your memories were there.

They're all gone.

You're going to die.

The storyline was crushing you in your own head so much that your skull was deformed and air was permeating out of the scalpeled holes and caved-in trenches that your fear was reeling closer. Nothing was making sense anymore. Who was this guy? How did he know you? What was he trying to do?! You didn't think he was up to no good, but it simply wasn't safe to assume anyone was on your side.

You had nothing.

"You look like you just saw a ghost," he declared. "Are you feeling sick?"

His brows began to cave towards his eyes in sympathy and compassion. The sparkle of his irises smiled at you as they laughed with foolishness and the red on your cheeks began to fade.

"I don't know who I am," you stated.

"You're not joking," the boy replied, almost too quick to have even registered a response. "I don't know why that is..."

You were too desolate to find out. Fate was screaming at you with its mighty lungs to pressure anything and anyone to feed you desperate information. The gates of destiny were closing as you searched the stranger's face for remorse, but you were unable find any. It was like you were so close to figuring it out, but you couldn't trigger the source to pop or show you any true judgement of this guy. He seemed like a loving and caring person, besides the fact that his expression was shouting at you with peculiar oddities and bulberous hypocrisy. It was a strange thing.

"I'm Jeff," he said. "You really don't remember me?"

The trees reflected the shake of your head as your stomach ignited with an invisible fire. Some analyzing left you under the impression that you hadn't consumed any type of food in days. Maybe even weeks. Your body was somehow turning inside-out from the lack of satisfaction and the container within your gut contracted more on the thought. You simply felt like a beast was eating you.

"No, I don't," you stuttered. "I'm really confused and scared-"

"Calm down," Jeff hushed.

You felt him kneel beside you and extend his thumb against the side of your face. He almost cupped your jawline as his beautiful, enticing eyes scanned yours once again. The wind bounced his hair back and forth slightly, but it was nothing compared to the constant echo in your mind of your breath being taken away by him. All of his actions seemed planned- staged. Or maybe he just thought about them more. Every tick of the clock in his pupils made you ever so curious about the background and history of such a magnificent creature.

But at that very moment, your head started throbbing. It was like a stabbing pain right on the concave side. Piranhas were swimming in your brain and scorpions injected detachment into the inner lining of your skull. The fading sun banged on your back over and over and over again until you could only collapse into Jeff's arms like a girl in a forest too far from her destination.

"Are you okay?"

"My head isn't right."

It was evolving into an unbearable agony and you wanted to cry. Your surroundings were disappearing as the center of attention remained on hints of betrayal and deceit. You didn't know what it felt like to be stabbed, but you were sure it was a similar feeling. What sort of being could cause such a terrible pain? And would it even want to?

Jeff panicked as he stated, "I'll go get pain medicine."

Sessions of black and grey filled the void as you were left laying in the grass on your side without another soul in sight. Time seemed to go by even slower and the pain only got worse and worse. Eventually, your tears were all cried out and your breath had settled down, but the traumatic experience that just occurred would never escape your memory.

The boy returned with a hand full of antidote, and as if it were magic, the splitting torture stopped altogether. Your panting departed and your pleading eyes faced the ground again.

"That's never happened before," Jeff mumbled as he rubbed your back. "But I would never let anything happen to you."

"How do I know you?" you questioned with a wheezy, torn voice.

He sort of half-smiled. "We've been dating for two years."

You stared at his dilated aura and his heavily twisted grin as best as you could. His hair blew around once more after the color behind your face drained. Not only did you know him, but you knew him well. He was your boyfriend.

"I really care about you... I love you," he said. "But you probably don't remember that."

Why did you feel some sort of fatal attraction towards him? He was pulling you in like a gorgeous dove in a graveyard. But that would provoke the question of how you got there. So you closed your eyes, unable to see the curtains inside the house move with the wind or the hands on the clock behind the wall circle the center... or the smile on Jeff's face that was growing wider, and wider... and wider.