Chapter 16: Faceless (Day 5) Edited

It started to get cold at the top of that tower.

A chilled being was waiting at the bottom to devour you alive, and you weren't fond of that idea. You knew it was a stupid decision to lean over the edge, especially when you fantasized about falling off, soaring hundreds of meters towards the ground. The loom and torture waiting inside that tower was a hoax covered by love and happiness. The bed of roses waiting at the bottom would soon open up and drag you into a pool of blood that drenched the flowers and gave them their "romantic" touch that enticed people from all around the world to dream about happy endings that would never be seen in their dull, deceit-ridden lives.

The only person keeping you from falling off was the guy standing beside you. Every flicker in his eyes filled you with more and more confusion and fear that wouldn't go away until your senses were calmed and your nerves were envied. He called you silently- bickered with your brain in the background- all so that you didn't have to suffer.

When you pulled away, you gazed at each other.

"Are you ready to go?" he asked. "It's getting cold. I don't want you to get sick."

The two of you followed a man towards the elevator and waited silently for the ding to fill your ears. You were the last people to leave, and that wasn't a smart choice. But time went by so fast when you were standing over the edge. You laid there for hours on end staring up at the millions of stars above your head waiting for the sun to make her appearance. It was kinda like how you and Jeff stared at the doors waiting for the most sinister thing to make her appearance.

And the person in that elevator was sinister indeed. She had black hair, pale skin, and the darkest eyes you had ever seen.

"Come on in," the girl said.

She gazed at the two of you with her black eyes as the void of her hair matched the frequency of her dress. Such clothing wasn't fit for the city of love, but she had consumed enough betrayal for her liking, and now her aura was black. She didn't move, nor did she stir, but each passing moment seemed to put Jeff more on edge.  You could feel his hand rip from yours, leaving you confused. He walked into the elevator, standing in the middle so that the girl could get a full view of his face. Before you even made a decision on whether or not to enter after him, he told you exactly what to do.

"You should probably stay out there," he said to you. "This elevator's filled with bad luck."

The doors closed behind him, and you were alone at the edge of a cliff. You could feel the imaginary trees whisper your name as you took a deep breath and let the wind consume you. Fires as cold as metal overlapped the swaying branches that were only existent in your mind. You didn't even care that the man who had directed you to the way down vanished in his place and left a dark figure behind. Perhaps it was his shadow that decided to stay and keep you company until your savior arrived.

The sun was almost dead, and the moon got lost on his way.

You heard absolutely nothing. There was no more wind and there was no more fire. Even the lights filling the city were silent as you closed your tired eyes and sunk to the floor beneath you. You didn't even hear the elevator doors open again.

But you sure did see what was inside. You saw a man standing in the same place he had before he embarked on his journey down. Below him was a pool of scarlet and crimson roses that used to embody the surroundings of the tower. You could tell that they all bled as they were plucked from their home. When the pliers snapped on them and separated their stems into two, red liquid spurted out and splashed into your lucid mind. The sound of them was grueling and obnoxiously disgusting. But you still placed some of your time into listening to their tune that attracted you like a lonely siren awaiting the day when all her lovely works would be put together and stitched in a way that could make the most brave of men fear their own death.

You stepped into the elevator and enclosed your hand within the fingers of the faceless man beside you. You recognized that each of the roses were grown from the base of the box and that every single one you stepped on was crying. The screaming voices in your head didn't help the agony and guilt you felt as you traumatized the virgin flowers and uprooted them like simple problems with simple solutions. You knew that nothing complex was worth your time anyways. Not even the man.

You opened your eyes to see Jeff looking down at you.

"Ready to go?" he asked.

The clock on the wall ticked slower than you were able to remember. It was strange how none of the events in your head actually happened in real life, but the same amount of time went by in both.

"I'm tired," you stated.

"I know," Jeff replied. "It's almost the sixth day."

The ride back to the hotel was filled with minds in and out of sleep and a small rabbit making noise at the top of the taxi cab. You liked the way it danced in some sort of synchronized harmony. It made you appreciate the way your boyfriend played with your hair as you fell into a hallucinatory dreamland and left him to deal with the constant tugs of foreign strangers wondering why a couple so young was exploring the streets of Paris on their own.

But even through all the noise and all the bickering, you enjoyed the utter hush that you received every time you stared into Jeff's cerulean, spasmodic eyes.