Chapter 19: Plunge (Day 6) Edited

You wanted to curl up into a tiny ball and cry so that your eye sockets would no longer feel the pain of being burned alive. They felt as if they were set on fire months ago, and you were only realizing the intensity of the flames in that very moment. Something was trying to attack, and you didn't know if it was the creature banging on the door or the guy standing ten feet away from you. He was so close, but everything you knew about him was across an ocean of lava. His dark eyes bleeding black were different than the ones with you crying a liquidized ash.

The banging on the door increased and it finally started to fall from its hinges. Jeff grabbed your hand before you were able to see who it was. Running over to the bedroom, he threw you inside and shut the door, locking it quickly. You watched as he unsealed the window and opened it as wide as it could go. That made you a bit frightened. Why would he stop protecting you in the way he always did before? He used to stand up for you and do whatever he could to resolve conflicts without getting you too involved. But now he was running away from the situation as if it was too much for him to handle. It honestly wasn't normal.

"Give me your hand," he demanded. And for a moment, you thought about it. What would it be like to fall out of a window? Didn't you have a thought like that before? But instead of trusting your brain, you shook your head, speechless.

"No," you stated, finally letting the word escape from your throat.

And that's when the world changed for the very last time.

Every single moment of your day was a nightmare. And every time something paranormal or strange happened, you woke up in a better place or a better situation. That's exactly what was happening now. The creature that had been chasing you completely disappeared and you weren't standing on a balcony or near an open window. No, you were falling from one. And you knew that as soon as you hit the ground, you would wake up back at the top. You would jump over and over again, trying to escape, but you would never really die. You would see yourself sprawled out against bloody pavement just long enough to feel the pain of a soul leaving your body, but it would all reset so quickly you wouldn't even feel that pain go away.

Breathing heavily in shock, the rate of your heart increased. Your brain started taking over, and you slowly walked over to the devil sitting on the window sill. You placed your right fingers atop his left and you felt how cold his hands really were. You were going through a fit of madness as a smile large enough to sever metal ties erupted on his face.

"Hey," you started to say. "Please, just please explain it all to me. I'm losing my trust in you."

Once again, for the seventeenth time, the world reset. But things weren't as normal as they usually were after spurs of victimless innocence. Everyone remained in their initial places, but expressions changed more intricately. No one looked trustworthy anymore, and you had no reason to trust anyone. There was only a single person you could call trustworthy, and he had already tossed trust over the edge.

Jeff looked down towards the ground and had a sorrowful look on his face. "All I ever wanted to do was love you," he said.

Why wasn't he a monster in your eyes? The darkness was so thick and intoxicating, almost as if the entire world was covered by it. He had to climb his way to the top of the black sea before the demons behind his pupils pinned him down and sucked out his soul. His entire past was chasing him; it was haunting him, for the sins he committed were anything but pure. He wanted nothing to do with them once he found a permanent solution to his problems, but the wall was higher than the greatest truth he had ever told. True love's kiss? No, nothing could save him. The darkness behind those pupils was humiliating. Reading his aura would simply show you all the colors in the world, just like how the world found color when you met him. But black is every color, in a sense. And now the world was "colorful" even though you wished it was black and white again. No one bleeds neutral colors, and the world cries "colorful" tears. He was your world, and your world rained color to suppress the black, lock the darkness inside. But as soon as he tried to get rid of it, he had already given up all his color to you. Therefore, the only rainbow left in the world was scared, weak, and ultimately repelled by him.

"I can't trust you anymore," you whispered to yourself.

You always knew who the real enemy was.

"Is this just a game to you?" Jeff asked. "Is this something you enjoy? Hm? I bet you like seeing other people fall around you and terrorize themselves into insanity. Yeah? I'm sure you just love it when there's nothing else I can do to save you, since you never wanted me to save you in the first place. Would you appreciate it if I left tomorrow and never came back? Would you appreciate the fact that the rest of my life would be absolutely miserable without you? Or maybe you think life with you isn't all it's knocked up to be."

"If you truly cared, you would have listened to me when I told you I didn't need saving. But since you fucked this up in the first place, you feel like you have to right to fuck it up even more. You might think I forgot, but my soul will always remember. I will always remember the way déjà vu strikes a catastrophic nerve."

Where the hell did that come from? The words that were spoken through your mouth but never registered in your brain? You already knew that hearing voices wasn't a good sign, but having them speak through your body was a terrible experience.

"What would I ever do to hurt you?" Jeff asked. "Why are you so afraid of me?"

"I... I don't really know," you muttered.

He took your hand and started to go on about leaving Paris behind. He said that you weren't acting like yourself and that a change in attitude could come from relocation. You agreed that too many strange things happened in Paris, memories of the day slipping from your mind. You had woken up in an alley, but you no longer cared. It didn't matter because your own mind articulated circumstances in which you were supposed to be there. Everything was as normal as it could seem. However, you could have sworn that Jeff had an unusual smile plastered on his face as you walked out of that alley.