Chapter 3: Incertitude (Day 1) Edited

You sat on your bed with your knees at your chest.

Should you enjoy the last days of your life? Was it even worth it? Wasn't there some way to escape? The flashback of his gaze was so intercepting that you immediately took the idea out of your head. Escape wasn't something you could just do in a heartbeat. It would take thinking and a plan. You couldn't risk the consequences just yet.

You didn't know how to react to your situation. Well, how would anyone else react? Wouldn't they just scream and keep trying to get away? You had watched enough movies and read enough stories to know that the best plan was to gain the killer's trust before trying to escape. It would be a lot easier just to go with the flow until then, right? Heck, you might be able to get out unscathed that way.

Was he the reaper? It didn't occur to you until then, but what if he was sent from a different world to take your life before it was killed naturally? Well, you didn't believe in paranormal stuff like that. If he was anything other than human, you would know that it all was a dream. What if your entire life was a dream? What if you were about to wake up in heaven at the back of a long line of souls all waiting to jump back down to earth and be reborn? Would a different life be better than this one? Of course it would. In another life, you wouldn't come across someone like Jeff. Right? Karma can't follow a soul that far, right? Maybe your situation was a good thing. You would be allowed to escape to another life in some parallel universe with different people and different souls.

After staring at your window for a while, you decided to get the attention of the person locked inside your house with you. And yeah, you really were locked in. Earlier, you attempted to escape through the front door, but Jeff's warning was true. He met you at the entrance to stare at your desperation as you checked every single lock and window in the house with no luck.

You reached the door of your room and cracked it the tiniest bit.

He was sitting against the wall across from you.

"Um... Excuse me?" you squeaked.

"Hm?"

"Are you... the reaper?" you asked.

He sort of stared at you with an odd look and tried to read your expression. After a moment of silence, he laughed. And that was all. The light flickered a few times, but your stupidity took over your words.

Jeff chuckled, "What type of question is that?"

"Well, I don't really believe in that paranormal stuff, but I was just wondering if I'm destined to die or something because what other reason would someone be here watching me in my last moments-?"

"I didn't know you rambled that much," he said. "And no, I'm not... whatever you're thinking."

He still smiled like he had after you asked that stupid question. He didn't smile like that earlier. Strange. It was heartwarming... Sincere, even. But you were scared of this. You were scared of feeling safe around him. However, you did. How strange... It was almost like the shortage of time was escaping your mind and telling you that everything would be alright. But why weren't you freaking out? Why weren't you crying and bashing your hands all over the doors and windows for someone to hear you and come to your rescue? Why weren't you screaming and plotting the murder of your own murderer? Any normal person would do just that.

It was like you were simply hallucinating and no one was harassing you in the slightest bit. Whenever you were faced with the other side of the person ruining your life, you felt nostalgic. You felt like home was with the left side of normal, and every turn on this broken road was taking you in circles of undying torture.