Chapter 13: Perfidy (Day 4) Edited

It lunged towards you, but Jeff stepped in front. The creature grabbed his shoe with a screech. He was pulled to the ground and nearly half way out the room, so you grasped his arm and tried to pull him back only to be forced to the ground. The figure moved towards you, wrapping its extended jaws around your leg. Reputedly, you screamed in pain. It couldn't be happening. Some paranormal creature was attacking you, and you weren't strong enough to get it off your ankle. You could easily bleed to death with a gash like that.

Jeff was able to stumble up and hurl it off of you. You tried to watch what was happening, but your vision was clouded with incomprehensible slurs and fake romance that prevented you from seeing the light of day. You were just about to leave consciousness from the loss of blood when you felt yourself being lifted up.

After a dreamless slumber, you opened your eyes slowly, happy to be alive. You remembered everything that had happened. Jeff was next to you. When he saw that you were awake, he sighed. Or was he panting?

"What happened when I blacked out?" you asked him, sitting up.

He said, "Blacked out... You didn't black out."

How impossible. This day just kept getting crazier and crazier. Or maybe it was you that was losing sanity. Everything you thought to be real was just a shadow. Bloody towels and broken glass near the window disappeared the moment you laid your eyes on them. What made it even worse was that the injury on your leg was gone too. It never happened. But you didn't want to believe that. You wanted to believe that you had been stuck in a coma for years and years while your wound healed. But, again, not everyone is worthy of a recovery like that.

The next shocking discovery was that you weren't in your hotel room anymore. No, you were hundreds of feet above the city of Paris.

"What's going on?" you asked.

Jeff had been looking out one of the glass walls at the lights of the Eiffel Tower when you questioned him. He wore a concerned glance as he finally understood the predicament he got himself into. You, of course, were clueless. You kept waking up in places you didn't recognize at all with no explanation as to how you got there. But the cause of this wasn't some sort of mental disease or brain trauma that affects those living too long of a life; it was the greed and envy that fills a person's heart when they realize that their original plans are ruined and the only course of action left is to take matters into their own hands and screw with maternal destiny.

"How did you know?" Jeff asked. "Why did you know?"

The Ferris wheel you were sitting in moved slowly around its center as the stars in the sky twinkled brilliantly. But those stars lost their shine in an instant. Every single one turned into a dim planet with catastrophic rays that could kill an entire universe through a black hole of missing information swelling in your bones. All the chances taken were seemingly for nothing, yet your instincts told you that the intent of them all was pure.

"Now we're stuck in this Ferris wheel... This loop of everlasting fate," he said. "We keep moving, but we're going nowhere." He stared at you with worn-out, anger-ridden eyes as water formed on the crystallized edges of his corneas. The clock behind his pupils laughed. Your tears dried in a flood, and the metal seat was chilled with deceit. Jeff put his fist against the glass, glaring at the turning world below him.

"You know," you choked, "I always wanted to see the city lights at night."

He glanced, but he didn't really see you.

You said, "This means more to me than you could-"

You stared at Jeff with eyes that spoke a million words of agony and pain that you would never know about. The light reflected off of them matched that of his face that watched the thousands of people in love show affection to those who have never betrayed them. He realized that absolutely everything he had done was for nothing.

"Does this mean I'm going to lose you again?"

He could never lose you.

He answered for himself and rambled, "What a depressed world... Right? I mean... Everything just ends in tragedy- all the people, all the feelings. They try to trick you, but you're in for more of a treat than they are."

Forgotten memories that would disappear soon drove your mind to questioning the purpose of one's existence. But wasn't that hatred? Wasn't wishing someone to be dead the definition of hate? How could you hate someone that you didn't know you once loved? That's betrayal in itself. You wondered how Jeff was able to suck up his dignity and pull you to another country for the sake of returning what he stole, and it made you think that the only reason people do things is to get on with their life and fill a gap that was empty from the beginning. However, if that gap was always empty, why did certain things happen out of destiny? Why did it seem like you were destined to reach an ending you wouldn't have dreamed about?

You never doubted him, and you never wanted to know anything more about him. You sat back and watched the tides cover the shore instead of fulfilling your destiny. You have to fill it for a reason, you know. It's not like everything was permanent.

"Hey," Jeff called. "I love how you stare at me with those hate-filled eyes. They don't have a lot of depth... Makes them easy to read."

You were caught thinking about solutions as to why everything was going wrong, but you couldn't come up with any answers. There were too many questions surrounding your shrouded brain, and fear that infiltrated your being didn't help you clear the fog. The bright white moon was a simple creature that loomed over your head from the essence of all the broken stars that form its undying pretense overlapping the future and that day.

If someone were to wake up with no memories, you would take the advantage. You would tell them anything in order to get what you wanted from them, right? But even if Jeff did lie, what did he want? And what could you do about it? You were completely helpless in your state. You were trapped in a mind covered with kudzu, and none of the controls were able to release the vines from taking over your depressed eyes. It made you worry and think that it just wasn't worth it anymore. You feared that everything in your future would keep getting worse and worse until you finished the game that was never meant to begin in the first place.

Jeff lied in order to make you date him. That isn't such a bad thing. He loved you, after all.

Right?

Considering all the struggles he put himself through, he lied because he was selfless in every way. And even if your deductions weren't true, you still believed that the reason he comforted you in that box at the top of that Ferris wheel was so that you could put your fear to rest and enjoy your parasitic lifestyle without worries, regrets, or responsibility.

That was until he injected you with another dose of red liquid that would put that lifestyle to shame.