Chapter 13 ~ Down and dirty!

A few weeks passed after that day. I don't know what had gotten into me. But I felt a rush of adrenaline that had spurred me on to make those choices. Had Lorenzo realised it was me? If so was he continuing to pretend he wasn't aware of who I was or had he genuinely not realised.

My days consisted of serving guests and occasionally the private lounge. I hadn't served Lorenzo again since that day and we hadn't spoken since I threw a punch at his guest. And, well the little incident when I danced for him, he probably had forgotten about it. I hoped it stayed that way, the last thing I needed was him pestering me.

I was finishing up after a long Friday night at the bar. We were all going out for drinks later. I was heading to the changing rooms when I overhead some girls talking about a masquerade ball that was going to take place.

Luxury balls had been a dream of mine since I was a little girl. The exquisite decor and the all you could eat buffets that probably cost a fortune. What was not to love? But of course I myself had never been among wealthy people to be invited to prestigious events like this.

I entered the changing room and walked to my reserved area. I slipped out of my attire and changed into a patterned dress. I then applied some nude lipstick. Finally I lightly curled my hair, and ruffled it up a bit, not to look too formal but casual.

I walked into the main bar where everyone seemed to busy chatting away. We were just waiting for the boss himself to dismiss us. He entered the bar with authority and made his presence known with a clearing of his throat.

"I'd just like to say thank you all for your hard work and determination at Lucky's. These past few weeks wouldn't be possible without you. Many of you are aware of the situation that occurred with one of the girls, you'll be happy to know, that man is gone and will no longer be a problem anymore. Remember what happens here, stays here. Omertà. I'm sure you all know what that is-"

"Ummm, I don't". I say raising my hand. Everyone turns to look at me, shock evident on their faces.

"Would anyone like to tell Valentina here, what Omertà is!" He says annoyingly.

"It's the code of silence, c'mon seriously". Khloe says giving me a dirty look.

"Oh okay." I say nodding my head in understanding.

"As I was saying, omertà is something we take very seriously here, if you break the code of silence, there will be consequences. He says staring straight at me. That man was taken care of so no more problems and I expect no one to make this known to others. Capiche?" He says.

"Yes sir!" We all say in unison.

"On the other hand, you also know that the annual masquerade ball is approaching! I don't want to hear anything about it. Strictly business, nothing else. Si? On that note, thank you again! Now let's go party." He says cheerfully.

I wonder why he doesn't want to be involved with the ball. Isn't he excited, I mean I would be. This must be the norm for him anyway, he must hate events like this.

We all exit Lucky's and make the journey to A La Modè - the new-ish bar that opened a while ago. If I remember correctly this is the exact bar where I got drunk and went home with Lorenzo. Quite scandalous of me but he didn't know that, or I think he didn't know that.

Leia, Jake, Sara and I enter the bar arms linked together and head toward the VIP lounges, after all we were with one of the most well known businessmen, or so he called himself, in the country. We take our seats on one of the jewelled chaise lounges.

Wow, this place brought back so many memories from that night. It was as if I was just here yesterday.

"What do you guys wanna drink?, on me of course". I say.