Chapter Twenty-Nine

chapter twenty-nine:
empathy or sympathy
~~

"This.." Fallon trailed off, her eyes focused on the trees blurring outside the car window as they sped down the road. "Feels sketchy. If I die... JJ, I'm haunting you. Gonna rearrange

"Wha- I didn't do shit!" JJ defended himself, though his mouthful of half-chewed m&ms.

"Exactly. You had the chance to save me. But here I am." Fallon sighed, turning her head back to face him. With a yawn, she stretched out her feet and rested them across Pope's lap. "Dead as hell. Deader than a doorknob. Deceased. Dead as-"

"You're not gonna die." Kie laughed, tossing her a bag of M&Ms.

"Yeah? How-"

"Cause I'll protect you, duh." JJ interrupted, raising his hands to mimic finger guns. "Pew, pew! P4L, right?"

"Guns?" Fallon rose her eyebrows, shaking her head quickly. "I'll take death, thanks."

"JJ, you dumbass!" Kie scolded, smacking him on the back of his head.  "I'd use a samurai sword."

"Oh, excuse me! I'll just whip out my medieval sword instead." JJ moved his hands around, simulating a medieval sword fight. Of course, pairing it with sound effects. "But you know where I'd have to keep it-"

Fallon scrunched her face up, sticking her tongue out. "Nasty."

Pope's hands rested on her ankle, his eyes following the blur of green as the van sped down the road, kicking dust up behind it. "They keep the money out here?"

"That's what she said." JJ answered, a smile curling on his lips. "Heh. that's what she sa-"

"Stop."

"I've never even heard of Resurrection Drive." Sarah chimed in, reaching her hand back towards Fallon for some candy.

"That's cause you're rich." JJ grumbled, fidgeting with the pocket knife in his hands.

"You've never heard of it either."

"Thank you."

"There's nothing but weeds back here."

"All right, just 'cause it's all weeds, doesn't mean it's, like.." JJ trailed off, "Uh.."

"Come on, JJ." Fallon waved her hand towards him. "You can think of somethin'"

The sound of police sirens cut her sentence off, and she turned to look out the window. "Weird. We weren't speeding."

"Cops? Out here?" Kie furrowed her eyebrows, turning around to look at the rest of the group.

"God! Are you kidding me?!"

"What did we do?" Fallon pulled her feet from Pope's lap, sitting up straight.

"Why are we getting pulled over?"

"Stash that." John B ordered to JJ.

"Guys, chill." Kie said, almost too nonchalantly.

"Put it- Put it. Dude, put it away!"