Chapter Eighteen

Chapter  Eighteen:
Fucking Cops
.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

Fallon sighed dramatically, readjusting the white bucket hat with small rainbow patterns on her head. "We got our asses absolutely handed to us."

Pope hummed in agreement, taking the boxes from Fallon's hands and placing them on the top shelf, "Yep."

"Don't let it get into your head, bro." JJ shrugged it off, "It wasn't a fair fight, that's some typical Kook shit right there."

"Hell yeah." Kie agreed.

"What was your thought process? Using your head?" JJ looked up at Pope as he shuffled what he held in his hands.

"I don't know, man.." Pope answered awkwardly, shrugging. "I mean. I-I just acted off of instinct.All right? I was a cornered animal."

"Hey, Pope." Fallon pulled her eyes away from the waves crashing against the shore and looked towards Heyward as he entered. "Someone here to see you."

"Oh." Fallon's throat dried and her back straightened when the sheriff walked through the doorway. She gulped, turning her eyes toward JJ who already had his attention on her. He gave her a look, silently communicating to not say or do anything that would get her put behind bars too.

"Evening, officer." Pope greeted, his voice wavering as his nervousness shined through.

"I have an arrest warrant for felony destruction of property." The man said, ignoring Pope's greeting. "Hands where I can see them. Out of my way, young lady."

Fallon blinked, reaching up and nervously pulling on the tassels hanging from her shirt. "But-"

"Wait, what?" Heyward interrupted, looking over at his son in shock. A hint of anger dripped from his tone, and Fallon couldn't tell if it was towards Pope for the accusations or towards the sheriff for accusing him. "Shoupe, what did he do?"

"Take a look at the warrant." Shoupe answered, pulling Pope's hands behind his back.

"Sorry, you're arresting him?

"You can't just arrest him!" Fallon argued, crossing her arms. She squared her body, planting her feet firmly.

"Who did that to your cheek, young lady?" Fallon's shoulders slumped as she rolled her lower lip into her teeth and looked away.

"You're arresting my boy?" Heyward continued as questions began to fly for Shoupe at a million miles a minute. "Shoupe, are you listening?"

"For what?" Fallon asked stubbornly, narrowing her eyes at the older man. Of course, she knew exactly what he was being arrested for, but it wasn't his fault. Or hers, or JJ's, or Kie's. "He didn't do anything."

"Be careful." Kie called to Pope as Shoupe began listing off his Miranda Rights. Fallon shook her head in disgust.

"Fucking cops." She spat under her breath, crossing her arms and stepping out from behind the counter and following after him.

"How much did they pay you, man?" JJ shouted, anger flaring up in his eyes as he pointed wildly at Shoupe. "How much did they pay you?"

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Kie shouted, her steps falling in tune with Fallon as they angrily slammed the door behind them.

"He's clearly innocent!" Fallon continued, throwing her arm up towards Pope. "Who do you think you are?"

"Yeah, what the hell?" Heyward agreed, crossing his arms as Shoupe shoved JJ back.