Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen:
Jet Skiing

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

TRIGGER WARNING: mentions of racism

Fallon's nose scrunched up as she watched John B check his teeth in the camera. "Ew."

"Hey," JJ said, reaching forward and fidgeting with one of the knobs. "What's this do?"

"Don't touch that!" Pope scolded, slapping JJ's hands away. "I'm tryin' to work out this thing."

JJ sighed, nodding his head and pulling his hand back to rest on his knees as he watched Pope mess with the device. "God bless geeks, Pope. Truly, man. What would we do without you to control the drone?

Fallon scoffed, a laugh leaving her lips as she shook her head, raising her hand to wave to Kie and John B as they appeared above the water. "Oh, JJ."

"Technically, it's not a drone." Pope corrected, "It's a ROV."

"Shut up, shut up." JJ rolled his eyes, standing up straight and stretching, "It's too early for that right now."

"Hey, look, once we get footage of the wreck, we'll bring it to a lawyer in town, and we'll file for a formal claim." John B suggested.

"Dude, it's such bullshit!" JJ complained as Fallon shrugged from beside him, "Why do we have to do that?"

"I don't know.." Fallon trailed off, "So we don't get our pants sued off of us?"

John B pointed at her as Pope hummed, "Well, there is maritime salvage law. You can't just go to the ocean floor and scoop a bunch of stuff up-"

"I know, I know!" JJ cut him off, "It's just, lawyers aren't cheap, bro."

"Well, as soon as they see the footage they'll work for a comp." 

"How do you know all of that?" Kie asked, turning to look at him.

"Cause my dad said it, like, a million times." John B answered. 

"Yeah, that's fair." Kie reasoned as she swam towards the ladder. 

"The tether is, like, really long." Pope pointed out, "In the wrong weather, it could get pushed around."

"Then we'll go at dead calm." John B said.

"At slack tide?" Kie asked, pausing to look back at the clouds.

"So, now we just gotta wait around for the right weather." Pope sighed, leaning onto the railing.

Fallon sighed, turning her eyes to the storm clouds that were forming. "Well... Good luck with that."

"Yeah, today is not that day."

~~

"Doesn't even look like the storm hit here!" Pope said in shock, shaking his head at the sight of the undamaged houses as they passed. 

"That's because they got generators, bro." JJ pointed out, twirling the knife he held as Fallon huffed. "Get used to it."

"When I'm famous I'm donating a hefty sum to the cut. This is bullshit." Fallon grumbled, shaking her head.

"And then they say the juice will be out all summer at the cut." JJ continued.

"It's nice to be a Kook." Pope sighed, tearing his eyes away from the homes.

"Lucky bastards."

~~

"Stay here, Fal." JJ said, adjusting the load of groceries in his arms to point at her.