Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven:
It's A  Very Bad Idea
.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

"This is empty." Kie deadpanned, looking up from the oxygen tank she held. "You took empty tanks?"

"I.." John B trailed off, cutting himself off as he shrugged. "It's enough for one of us."

"Love it when a plan comes together." Pope said sarcastically.  Fallon nodded in agreement,  handing off the one she held to Kie and taking a seat on the edge of the boat beside JJ. 

"Okay, this one's a quarter full." Kie said, gesturing to the one Fallon previously held. "Does anybody know how to dive?" 

"Ha!" Fallon laughed, shaking her head. "Pft... Us. Divers."

"Yeah, it's kind of a kook sport." JJ agreed.

"I... read about it." Pope offered, raising his hand.

"Great!" Kie said sarcastically, rolling her eyes. "Pope read about it, someone's gonna die."

"Look, you put the thing in your mouth, and you breath. How hard could it be?" JJ shrugged, as Fallon shook her head. 

"You could die." Fallon shrugged, raising her hand to fan her face. "Haven't you guys seen forty-seven meters down?"

"Yeah, if you come up too fast, you get nitrogen in your blood." Pope said, "And you get the bends."

"The bends?" JJ rose his eyebrows, a teasing smirk playing on his lips, "Like.. bend over?"

Fallon blushed, looking away as JJ bent over. Awkwardly clearing her throat she turned her attention to John B and Kie. "Di-did you guys know that.. uh, that cand flavored banana is actually what bananas used to taste like? There was a plague in, like, the fifties, and now we eat clone bananas... Fun."

JJ pursed his lips, awkwardly standing up as Pope gave him a look. "The bends kill you."

"Right." JJ said, nodding as he sat down beside Fallon, "Cool fact, though."

"I-I can dive." John B suggested, looking around at his friends.

"You can dive. I'm cool with that." 

"Since when can you dive?" Kie asked, raising her eyebrows. 

"I'll do it, it's fine."

"Let me do some calculations real quick." Pope said, standing up from the boat's driver seat.

"Because you were a mathlete?" Fallon suggested, giggling as Pope shot her a look.

"That boats about.. thirty feet down, so that'll take twenty-five minutes at that depth. Which means you need to safety stop at around.. Let's say ten feet. All right? For two minutes." Pope said, scribbling his numbers down on the notebook paper.

"Yeah, ten feet, two minutes. Got it." John B nodded, knitting his eyebrows together as Kie peeled off her top and jumped into the water. "Uh.."

"What was that all about?" Pope asked, leaning over the edge to look where the girl had disappeared. 

"I don't know." JJ answered, "But I liked it.. A lot. Uh, so.."

Fallon's shoulders slumped as she pulled her knees up to her chest, holding a firm grip on the boat so she didn't fall off backward again. She should've known JJ would be into Kie, not her. 

Her hope diminished as she let out a sigh, resting her chin on her knee. JJ glanced at her, clearing his throat as he stood up quickly, "Yeah, uh, when you're down there, you look for the cargo hold. You stick this thing inside of it and twist and pull, okay?"