Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen: 
Beat His Ass

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

Fallon didn't hate Jaedyn, even if they ended on a horrible note. Not anymore. When they first broke up, and the months following the breakup, Fallon did. She hated him, everything about him. And all she wanted to do was to see him suffer the way he made her suffer. But now, she didn't hate him anymore. She didn't hate anyone. Fallon had grown and learned, people are people. They are who they are, and at the end of the day, they were only human.

But, one of the last things he'd said to her stuck with her. The harsh words spoken had engraved themselves into the back of her head, creeping up and growing into a fear. A fear that whoever eventually did fall in love with her, would, in the end, get bored of her and leave.

"You're lucky I even agreed to date you, you're completely unlovable!"

The words spewed from Jaedyn's lips. The lips that used to kiss her so tenderly, the lips that she used to love. The same lips that whispered the words I love you against her golden skin. Regardless of her feelings, or lack thereof, for Jaedyn, it didn't mean she wanted to see him again. Unfortunately, the universe had a different idea in mind for her.

"Fallon?"

Fallon's back straightened and her grip tightened on the coffee cup she held. At the sight of Fallon's eyes widening, the barista glanced behind her, raising his eyebrows and crossing his arms.

"Jaedyn." She said coolly, spinning around and facing her ex. He looked good. Different. Older. He was nineteen now. Probably a year into college, or maybe he was just heading off to college. He'd always talked about taking a year off to travel and to see the world, but he didn't now if he could because of his scholarship opportunities. 

An awkward tension flooded the room as they stood facing each other. Jaedyn looked like he wanted to say something, but was far too afraid to.

"You look... you look good." Jaedyn said awkwardly, reaching up and scratching the back of his head.

"Uh," Fallon paused and looked down at her outfit, "Thanks."

Jaedyn cleared his throat, "How, uh.. how have you been?"

"Good." Fallon answered, tapping her finger against the foam cup. She pursed her lips, clicking her tongue as she looked away from his prying eyes.

"Good." Jaedyn repeated, nodding his head. "Um.. So, I got in. To the University of North Carolina. The one at Chapel Hill."

Fallon nodded slowly, "For basketball?"

"Uh.. yeah, yeah. Full scholarship." Jaedyn continued, nervously tapping his foot.

The awkward atmosphere surrounding Jaedyn and Fallon was thick, thick enough for a knife to cut through it.

"Uh.. anyway." Jaedyn muttered, clearing his throat and looking down to his feet. "How.. I've thought about you."

Fallon's grip tightened on the cup as she slowly nodded her head. "Why?"

"Because." Jaedyn answered shakily, "I got a girlfriend. And-and I thought a lot about how I treated you when we broke up."

"Right." Fallon nodded, glancing at the door and shifting. She wanted to leave. "Like shit."

Jaedyn winced, nodding his head slowly. "Yeah. Yeah. Like shit."