Chapter Twenty-Eight

Chapter Twenty-Eight:
Acid Test

Dirt coated Fallon's skin, covering the freckles that painted her cheeks. Yet, she remained as ethereal as ever.

A mix between a yawn and a sigh left her lips as she rested her head on the back of the seat. 

"Fallon?" The girl jumped at the sudden pull back to reality, turning her attention onto the source. Pope watched her, concern swirling in his eyes as he took in her frazzled appearance that no one else seemed to notice, too caught up in the joy they felt.

"Yeah?" She spoke, glancing at her friends around her as they shouted along to the lyrics of the song blasting through the radio's speakers. She finally turned her attention onto him, her eyes meeting his for a moment.

"Are you okay?" He asked, reaching out and offering her his hand if she decided that she wanted it. She did. Fallon took his hand, a ghost of a smile blessing her features. Assuming she hadn't heard him from the lack of response, repeated the question. "Are you okay?"

"Um.." Fallon blinked, raising her free hand to brush away the dirt from under her eye. "I'll be fine."

"Promise?" Pope asked pointedly, giving her a look. She smiled at him, resting her head on his shoulder.

"Promise." Fallon nodded, squeezing his hand reassuringly and letting her eyes fall shut.

~~

"Hell of a job melting this down, Dr. Frankenstein." JJ said sarcastically, turning over the melted gold in his hands.

"Like you could have done any better." Kie rolled her eyes, shutting the van's door behind her. JJ scoffed, handing over the melted gold to Fallon.

"I could have done much better, I took a welding class." JJ argued, waving his hands around for emphasis.

"You.. When? Huh? When?" Kie challenged, crossing her arms and pursing her lips.

"Woah, woah." John B interrupted the argument before it could begin. "Hey, chill out, okay? Chill out."

" Easy for you to say," JJ scoffed, glancing down at the melted gold in his hands. "You're not the one who has to pawn this piece of shit off."

"No, yeah, that thing is sus." Fallon agreed, looking at the gold in his hands. "Good luck."

"How did I get this job, anyways?"

"You're the best liar." Pope shrugged, holding open the pawnshop door for Fallon to walk through. She sent him a smile as a thanks while looking at the shop around her in awe.

"Wow!" Fallon drew out the ow. "I see how it is-"

"Acting isn't lying." Pope said quickly, raising his hands in mock defense.

"Hm." Fallon hummed, reaching up towards her shark tooth necklace. "Fine, fine. Good save."

"Afternoon, ma'am." JJ greeted the woman at the counter with a smile.

"Afternoon.." She replied unsurely, sizing not only him, but the other Pogues, up as well.

"I see you buy gold." JJ commented as Fallon looked around the show, her fingers brushing the case with necklaces in it. A small smile crossed her face as she reached up and held the shark tooth necklace in her hand. 

"That's what the sign say, don't it?" The woman said, gesturing to the sign. Fallon rose her eyebrow, sharing a look with Kie before going back to admiring the jewlery hidden behind the box.