Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four:
You

"So," John B started, taking quick glances at the house as he crouched behind a bush. "Here's the plan. "We need to look out for wheat near the water like it said in Denmark's letter."

Fallon hummed in acknowledgment, shifting her position so that she was more hidden from the view of the house. Pope nodded slowly, "Like.. what kind of water? Pond water?

JJ chuckled, "Bong water?"

"Absolutely not." Fallon huffed, "Bongs aren't big enough."

"N-No! It just said look for water, okay?" John B stammered. 

"That's the shittiest secret message ever." Kie grumbled, rolling her eyes as she weaved her way through the weeds, trying to avoid any thorns.

"You wanna complain a little more, Kie?" John B jabbed, "No one said this was gonna be easy,"

"Dude." Fallon turned her head to look at him, knitting her eyebrows together. "Don't be mean."

"Whatever." John B huffed, following Kie through the weeds.

"I'll search the northeast quadrant, you search the northwest." Pope pointed to JJ, who nodded in agreement.

"Okay.. Wait, wait.. The decapitation quadrant?!" JJ gestured wildly to the area he was to search.

"Yes."

"What about me?" Fallon rested her hands on her hips, raising her eyebrows. 

"You can go with m-"

"With me." JJ interrupted, "You can come with me."

"Oh," Fallon nodded, glancing at the quadrant, "Perfect. Let's not get brutally murdered together."

"You're the only one I'd wanna get brutally murdered with." JJ flirted, sending her a wink. A snicker escaped his lips as her smile fell and her face flushed.

"Ha! Fun fact, did you know that only around twenty-two percent of murders end with convictions on all charges? Promising, right?"

~~

"Ugh, this is super creepy." Fallon whispered, her eyes following the light of John B's flashlight around the creepy room. 

"Down came Mrs. Crain and cut off all our heads." JJ sang quietly. Chills shot down Fallon's spine as she anxiously looked around the room at each of the dusty furniture sets. "Up came the sun and dried up all the blood."

"Can you stop?" Pope snapped, raising his eyebrows. 

"JJ," Kie scolded, rolling her eyes. "You're freaking Fallon out."

"Did-did you guys know that, uh-"

"Fallon, hush." John B interrupted, sending her a look that a mother would use to scold her child. Fallon pursed her lips, coiling in on herself as she wrapped her arms around her torso. "Not the time."

"Ri-right, sorry." Fallon murmured, looking down at her feet. JJ rolled his eyes at John B, stepping in front of him to stand beside Fallon. 

"Dude," Pope shook his head, "Leave her alone."

"Yeah." JJ agreed quickly, "She's tryin' her best, man. You know her, and can't honestly expect her to not be freaked out right now."

John B's jaw dropped, and he looked towards Kie for back-up. The darker girl shrugged, nodding in agreement with JJ and Pope. "I mean, she doesn't wanna be axe murdered."