Chapter 19

"Stop!" Laughing out as Elena pulled me in deeper.  Hugging my torso as she splashed the frigid water toward me.

Slapping the water right back her.  I watched Markus sneaking up behind her silently smirking as I kept splashing her, keeping her distracted.

"Gotcha!" Markus roared. Trapping Elena in his arms as her legs flailed in the air, screaming through laughter being lifted up and tossed into the water. 

Markus lowered into the water, eyes watching me like a target.

"No" Pointing at him with a stern finger. "Don't you dare!" Backing out of the hip deep water.  But Markus was fast.  Rushing forward as I spun around to run. "No!"

Strong arms wrapped around me as I wiggled in his grip. "Don't do it! Don't-"

My body met the air high above the water before splashing deep into the water. Clawing at the water as I made it to the surface. Gasping for air, pushing my heavy locks out of my face.  Elena's coming to my aide, lending a hair tie to secure my hair away from my eyes.

"Oh. This is war" Hissing under my breath as Elena snickered quietly.  Elena and I swimming with the waves, Elena swimming for Markus's right, while I stayed to left.  His curious eyes looking back and forth between us.

We nodded once to each other. Both of gasping for air as we dived down.  The salty water stinging my eyes as I stayed below the surface, kicking my legs swiftly as I squinted into the water.  I can see his legs, and the cord connecting him to his surfboard.  Pushing into the water.  Elena right beside me as we both grabbed a leg, yanking with all our might.

His body falling with success as I watched Elena rise to the surface.  Choking back water as Markus's foot suddenly connected with my jaw.  Screaming out as I clawed for the break in the water.  The heavy waves pushing me into his. His hard hand finding my torso, holding me down.

My lungs burned as water filled them.  What was he doing?!  His sudden eyes right in front of my face, not a ounce of playfulness, kicking my legs roughly at his arm.  Screaming out, watching the air bubbles rise to the surface.  My blood mixing with the water, pushing his deadly stare away from me.  But he wouldn't move an inch!

A sudden hand wrapped around my arm, pulling me up.  My head dizzy as I gasped for air. My face burning from Markus's kick.

Elena's panicked expression as she shook my shoulders. "What happened to your face?! Are you okay? You were under there for a while?! You scared me!" My blurry eyes turned to a regretful Markus.

"What the hell?!" Coughing out water.  Wiping the blood draining from my nose.  "You fucking kicked me in the face and held me under!  You knew what you were doing!" Rushing forward, shoving his chest back.

Raising his hands quickly. "I'm so sorry Angela! I got out of hand.  I'm so-"  His hand moved toward my face.

"What?!" Elena confused eyes looking between us.

"No!" Shoving him back further.  "You looked straight at me.  And held me under!" Pushing myself toward the sand.  The waves helping me swim faster, my feet finally able to touch the ground.  Trudging forward, Elena's hand on my shoulder.

"Maybe it was an accident-"

"It wasn't an accident!" Cutting her off quickly.

"Angela I'm sorry!" Markus's called trying to catch up with us.  

Kicking the sand behind me as I rushed to my phone.  Snatching up my socks and shoes.  Tossing Elena's keys to her. 

Elena shrugged into her shirt.   

Hissing through my mouth as I pinched the bridge of my nose leaning forward, my blood staining the sand at my feet.

"Let's go. Now" Growling out as I watched Markus walk up to us.  His eyes holding guilt. 

Elena nodded softly.  Her legs stilling beside me for some reason.  Her hand tugging for me to look up.

"What?" Seething at her in pain more than I meant to.  Looking up, my eyes connecting with raging green one a few feet away.

Rushing toward me, dropping my belongings.  His hands finding my face, holding me softly as his eyes searched mine.  Clutching his torso.  Tears pricking my eyes.

"Angel" Murmuring softly. "What the hell happened?!" Growling at Elena making her flinch before his eyes shot toward Markus behind me. "You" His voice turning deadly. His fingers wiping the blood from my face as I winced from the touch.

Dropping me from his hold.  Rushing toward Markus.  "Hey, it was an accid-" His hard hands connecting with his toned chest, knocking Markus to the ground before he could finish his sentence.

Elena clamped her hand over her mouth.  Her hand grabbing my nervously.

Talon's balled fist met Markus's nose with a ear shattering crack.  Elena and I flinching from the sound.  Markus shoved Talon back but Talon was faster.  Connecting his fist with another blow Markus's face.

"Talon!  Stop!" Rushing behind him, yanking the arm he had pulled back to connect with Markus's face.  As much as I wanted him to do it, I knew Talon wouldn't stop.  Pulling his arm back.  "He's not worth it.  I just want to go home!"

Markus rose to his feet, raising his hands in defeat. "I'm so sor-" Talon swept his leg under Markus's ankles, causing him to fall to the ground with a thud.  Talon turned his body back to mine.  People began circling around us.  

"Have Elena take you home" Holding my cheeks in his hands.  "I'll be there soon" Kissing my tender bruising face softly.  

"No.  Come with me." Begging him, pulling his body with all my might.  Glaring toward Markus as he rose, his livid expression making my stomach churn.  "Talon.  Please?" Sniffling through the pain as I pushed my forehead into his chest.  

Clutching his waist.  I wanted Markus to get what he deserved but not like this.

"He's not human Angel"  Talon's voice murmured softly in my head.

Stilling my body as I registered his words.  He wasn't human?  Did that mean he was an angel?

"Please go home Angel, I'll be with you soon"

Nodding at his soft words echoing in my ears. His warm hand holding my face back so he could inspect my face, soft lips meeting my forehead as I looked up at him, then back to Markus.  My blood rising seeing his, smug?  Was he being smug?!

Turning in talon's hold.  Picking my things from the sand.  Elena looking between the three of us before I pulled her hand toward her truck.

"What's he going to do to him? Should we call the police?" Was she actually worried about Markus?  After Talon telling me he was human, I wasn't concerned anymore.

"Let's remember he kicked me in the face, and tried drowning me" Hissing out as I pulled her harder as she tried to watch Talon and Markus.  The circle of people began leaving,  Elena nodded softly as we reached her truck.  

Pulling out quickly, turning my head to see Talon and Markus in a heated argument.

"I just- it seemed like Markus didn't mean to hurt you Angie" Her soft voice spoke over the radio.

Rolling my eyes. Pulling the sun visor looking into the mirror.  My face red and puffy, dark purple already forming around my cheeks and nose. "Elena.  He looked right at me and held me down.  He didn't let go until you grabbed my arm to pull me up"

She was quiet the rest of the drive.  Both of us not willing to speak anymore. I hated being angry with her.  But her not believing me that what Markus did was intentional got under my skin.  She was my best friend and she was siding with a guy we've barely known for two months.  She always meant well, and tend to see the best in everybody.  But right now I need my best friend to believe me and not side with her eye candy.