Chapter 28

"Was Talon the one who did this to you?" Her voice hard as she looked me up and down.  My dirt caked clothes, splatters of blood from Markus I had never noticed.  Her eyes seeing my neck making her rise to me.  "Your throat!"

Dropping back into the couch beside her.

"No it wasn't him"

Her voice went deadly serious "Because if he hurt you-" 

"It wasn't Talon, I promise. I was dumb and confronted Markus"  Shaking my head.  Dumb, but finished him off.  The thought of his cold dead stare making my stomach twist.

"And the other night when you left?" Lifting a brow with a knowing brow.

So she did know I left, but she never brought it up.

"Talon took me out" A faint smile wanting to break across my lips.  The memory of us flying through the city.  The view of the ocean as I sat on his back, feeling the air from his wings whipping around me.  "It was nice"

"I was just happy you left a note.  I had came down to kitchen to get a drink of water and saw the note on the table.  Figure it was him you ran off with" Patting my hand gently.

"Do you love him?" She asked softly.  Taking me off guard. My face burning at her words.

"I-I don't know" It was honest, but my heart denied it. "He's kept secrets from me" My throat cracking as it tightened.  

"What secrets?" Asking with concern.  She could tell I was reluctant to answer.

"Were they important secrets.  Things he should have told you?"

Nodding softly as tears pricked the corners of my eyes.  Wiping them away with my hand, my face still tender from the day at the beach.

"Then you need to trust your better judgement" Taking me in her arm, leaning my head on her shoulder.  "You need to decide if those secrets are worth it, or if what he kept from you just going to hurt you more in the long run" 

Tears poured from my eyes.  All of my emotions suddenly flooding me, her hand smoothing my hair down as I clung to her.  I had kept so many things from her, but right now.  This was the most I've told her since meeting Talon.

"I've watched you two.  I believe he truly cares about you, the way he looks at you reminds me of Henry" Her hand wiping her own stray tears.  "But you can't build a relationship with secrets.  Honesty is important" 

Her wise words shook me to my core.  Nodding into her shoulder as I slowly gathered myself.

"You probably have a lot going through your mind.  I'm going to start dinner, I'll send Sam to your room with something for the pain.  I'm sure he wants to talk to you too, he was petrified when he told me we had to leave"  Kissing the side of my forehead. "I'll leave the box of your dad's things at your door"

Nodding with a sad smile.  "I'm just happy he listened to me and got you guys to leave" Standing on my feet with shaky legs.

Grabbing a change of clothes, I started the shower.  The hot steam filling the bathroom as I stripped out my clothes.

The hot water beaded down my neck.  Releasing all of my tight muscles as I replayed my mom's words in my head.

Was the secrets Talon kept from me worth it? I didn't know how I felt.  My heart raced as I pictured his heart broken expression when he pulled Markus off of me.  It was him who told me I could kill him.  But Joseph was the one who told me why.  So even Joseph knew what I was.