Chapter 22

"What do you know about Markus?" Sitting on the floor with my laptop, Talon sprawled out on my bed, looking utterly full from dinner.

"Ugh.  No talking, why don't you join me up here" Giving me a daring smile.

Shaking my head quickly.  "What's his last name?" Pulling up a search engine, I knew if I got into that bed, I'd learn nothing about Markus.

"He goes by Markus Gray.  But I doubt you'll find anything on him.  When I spoke to him at the beach, he claims he's just passing through"  I could feel his eyes watching me now.  Feeling like germ under a microscope.  "I'll follow him around tomorrow to find out more about him"

"If he's just passing through why become a teacher's assistant?" Mumbling to myself as I typed in his name.

"I should have ripped his skull from his spine for laying a finger on you" Growling out, dropping to the floor quietly.  Taking a spot behind me on the carpet.  His chin leaning softly on my shoulder. "What if he-"

"But he didn't.  So I want to know more about this asshole" Cutting Talon off before he could finish his sentence.  Leaning closer to the computer screen.

Scrolling through the endless links.  My eyes zooming on the link 'Markus Gray, arrested on suspicion after the death of young Seattle woman in a house fire'  Clicking the link quickly as a sickening feeling filled my stomach, bile threatening to rise in my throat.

"Markus Gray, 30.  Was arrest this past October 12th after evidence was found that he had started a fire that killed young 20 year old Alison James.  The two were seen outside her home the night her house was engulfed in flames.  Markus claimed he was dropping her off from tutoring her.  But witnesses stated seeing the two arguing outside her house.  Mr. Gray was released on lack of evidence.  But the family insists it was him."

Sure enough there was a picture of the girl who wasn't much younger than me.  Her bright smiling face.  Hazel green eyes full of life.  Blonde hair with colored baby blue ends. Looking absolutely happy.  But beside her was a photo of Markus, his usual crystal blue eyes and smiling face was replaced by a cold, killer like stare.  The hair on the nape of my neck standing on edge as he seemed to look directly through me.

"Doesn't seem like he's just passing through" Turning my head Talon's.  His eyes unreadable as they scanned the article.  His hands wrapping around my torso, pulling me gently into his chest.  "I have to tell Elena, she has no idea about him" My voice raising in fear for my friend.

"I have a feeling he's already influenced her to trust him" His solemn voice chilling my skin.

"I can't NOT tell her!" Slamming my laptop down.  "She needs to know.  How did the school hire him? Don't they do background checks?!" Standing to my feet, pacing back and forth,  Talon's head following me. Clutching the sides of my head.

Snatching my cellphone from my desk.  Dialing her number quickly.

She picked up on the first ring.  "Ang?" Giggling as she answered.  "I'm so happy you called, I'm so sorry about earlier" Another fit of giggles, a males voice in the background mumbling something.

"El? Where are you.  We need to talk about Markus" Talon stilling my body, his head dipped to the phone to listen.

"He's right here! He's really sorry about earlier Ang.  He didn't mean to hurt you hun" Her voice without an ounce of doubt about it being anything but an accident.  "He came to my house begging me to make you believe he didn't mean to hurt you"

Talon must be right, he's got plenty of influence over her.  My El, would have had my back if something like this ever happened to me.  But she was replaced with someone else, someone who trusted Markus full heartedly.

"Angela I apologize for hurting you.  Truly didn't mean to hurt or scare you" Markus's smooth voice filling the end of the phone.  But there was a darker tone to his voice now.  Lethal, threatening.

My blood began to boil. 

"Give the phone back to Elena" Hissing through the phone. Talon seeming to fight his own anger as he.

Markus chuckled darkly.  "She's a little busy.  We've decided to have a movie night, similar to the one you had" How did he know about that? 

"Does she know about Alison James?" Growling out, pushing Talon's concerned hands away from me.

Markus sighed, my words causing no shock. "Should have known you wouldn't let bygones be bygones.  Leave it to you to dig your nose where it doesn't belong. I'm sure Talon's with you.  So you already know more about me than I'd like.  How about you give Talon the phone sweetheart"

"You motherf-"

Talon snatched the phone out of my hand before I could finish my curses. Glaring as he held the phone his ear.  Making it hard to catch the words Markus was saying.  His voice to low as Talon stayed silent.  Eyes flashing with anger, guilt, and almost every other emotion.

Talon ended the call before I could speak to Elena. "Why'd you hang up?! She's with him! She's not safe with him!" Not caring if my mom heard me at this point.  Snatching a pair of jeans off my dresser, sliding them over my black and pink pajama bottoms.

"No" Talon's stopping my hands from buttoning the jeans.  Backing out of his hold, he can't be serious?

"No? You're kidding right?! She's with him, she has no idea what he's done, what he is!" Grabbing his Nirvana hoodie that he never took back since the storm at the school.

"This is what he wants.  He wants you to come to her rescue.  He wants you to ignore what I'm telling you" His warm hand casing my cheeks, emerald eyes begging me to believe him.

"I can't leave her with him!" My voice cracking.  "I-I have to get her, warn her!" 

"I will leave and keep an eye on her tonight. But you CANNOT go to her" Whispering sternly.

"I 'cannot'?"  Emphasizing with a glare.  "She needs me Talon, even if she doesn't realize it"

"Angel, I'm begging you to stay here. Please?"

Shaking my head. "No.  I'm not just going to sit here, waiting for you tell me she's alright.  She's my best friend" Slipping on my tennis shoes.  "Either I go by myself or you take me.  But I'm going" 

Crossing my arms over my chest, I wasn't going to back down from this. Talon's own stance fell with defeat.  Face etched with an internal battle he was having within.

"We'll both go.  But we can't go in.  We'll get close enough to make sure she's alright for the night but we can't go in.  He wants us to rush in, guns blazing.  We'll stay out all night if need to.  But you have to promise me you won't go in"

"Fine"  I wasn't promising anything though.  Elena was my person.  I would walk through Hell's fire for her.

"I wouldn't let you walk through flames if I had to drag you by your ankles away" Talon spoke defiantly.  Daring me to argue with him.

"I'd give you a hell of a fight" 

Talon nodded with a smirk. "I'd expect nothing less from you"