Chapter 27

My head hit the hard ground with a loud crack. Squeezing my eyes shut as the weight of Markus hit me like a semi truck.  His fast hands wrapping around my throat, stopping all the air from entering my lungs.

"Talon!" Screaming out with all my might as I gulping for air.

Jabbing my hands up as my head started spinning.  Markus gasped once,  his hands slowly released my neck.  Oxygen filled my lungs, opening my eyes.  Markus's movements slowed.  

His eyes leaving mine to look down between us.

Warm liquid seeped down my hands, looking down to see my hand still holding the curved blade deep into Markus's chest.  Twisting the blade sharply, deepening the hole wound with a grunt.  His warm breath fan over my face as his cold eyes glazed over. Whatever spirit or angel that was in him leaving with one slow final blink.

My throat burning from the death grip that Markus had on my neck.  Suddenly his body disintegrated above me.  Ashes falling on me creating a cloud of dust. My eyes grew wide as saucers, slapping the ashes off of me as it coated my clothes.

Talon was the first one to stand above me.  Mixed emotions flooding his features, his soft green eyes searching my face as I laid unmoving. 

He didn't tell me about having Nephilim in my blood.  Did my brother have it? Did my mom even know?

Talon's hand moved to my cheek, but I jerked away quickly.  Joseph with a solemn expression came to my other side, offering a large hand.  I could feel Talon's eyes on me as Joseph lifted me to my feet.  His hands steadying me as I wavered.

"Good job darlin'" He praised with a small smile.

Turning my head to the house, my mom's van was gone.  Sam had listened to my words.

"Angel?" Talon asked softly.

 Keeping my eyes on the green grass beneath my feet. Talon's warm hands grabbed my shoulder.  

Yanking out of his grip, spinning on my heel.  "Did you know?!" Shoving his chest back with all my strength, his body falling back a step from the force.  My heart aching seeing the rejection in his eyes.  But I pushed aside those feelings. "You knew! You didn't tell me! He had to!" Pointing an angry finger at Joseph.

Talon reached for my face but I was faster.  For once. Slapping his hands away. "Go Talon"  He took another step forward. "No!" Raising my voice higher. "Just go!"

Talon's face fell, his green eyes dulling with a painfully sad expression.

"I'll keep an eye on her" Joseph muttered.  His large hand forcing Talon to turn around. "She needs time"

Backing away slowly.  Turning around as I ran to the back door of the house.  Ignoring the ache in my head as I slammed the door shut.  Running to the sink to scrub my hands.

The tops of my hands were raw by the time I felt I washed all the blood and dark grey off of them.  

Slumping myself into the living room couch.  Everything in my body ached, closing my eyes as I let my head fall on the cushion.

How long did Talon know? Did he always know? He kept this from me the entire time.  Maybe it wasn't the fact that he 'cared' about me that pissed off all the angels.  Was it because I had Nephilim blood in me like Joseph and Markus said?

Pulling my phone from my back packet.  Grimacing at the now shattered screen.  But happy that it lit up still working.  I messaged Sam quickly, letting him know it was safe to come back home.