the beautiful kind, making up for lost time

___♪___

___♪___

THEIR ONE MONTH ANNIVERSARY comes in a weird way that somehow feels both like

it's been a month already?!

and

we've definitely been together for way longer.

September 18th falls on a Tuesday—not exactly conducive to any kind of celebration for two high school students.

"We should go out this weekend to celebrate," Annabeth had suggested ahead of time.

"What should we do?"

"Hey, I baked the cake and picked the venue last month, this is your turn!"

Percy protests weakly that he's terrible at planning things. Annabeth knows that's probably true, but it doesn't really matter to her.

She calls him on the day, laying on a bench outside her dorm so as to avoid the irritated gaze of her roommate throughout the conversation.

"So," Percy muses, "rating of this month, scale of one to ten."

"That's a tough one." She laughs even as she tries to deadpan. "I'd say an 8.5, definitely above being chased across the country by supernatural beings, so better than most of my months in the past decade."

"But with room for improvement."

She gets quiet for a minute and says, "Always," then realizes there are too many ways that could be taken wrong and she corrects herself. "For instance if I didn't have to take American lit? Then it would be a 10."

"An 85 is better than most of my grades, so I'll take it for now. Though I definitely can't help the American lit situation."

"So where are you taking me Friday?" she asks, mostly to get her mind onto things more hopeful than her abysmal recent past and even worse homework assignments.

"It's a surprise."

Annabeth audibly groans—she hates surprises.

"I mean—it's not," he cuts himself off. "It's not that exciting of a surprise. Like... don't...Yeah, never mind."

Annabeth doesn't like how nervous he sounds—not that he's not cute as hell when he's trying to impress her, but it's a one month anniversary, not a damn proposal. "Well as long as it doesn't involve gods, monsters or school—"

"Gods, no," he says quickly.

"Then I'm excited."

He has to go eat dinner, so Annabeth drags herself off the bench and into the culinary horror show that is her boarding school's cafeteria.

Friday afternoon after her classes end, Annabeth changes out of her oppressively polyester school uniform and meets Percy outside. He still hadn't offered any clues to the evenings plans, just said he'd meet her at her school. So, she meets him on the sidewalk outside and kisses him hello.