treading on a dangerous path

TW: angst, percy cheating.
I know percy would never cheat but for the sake of this one shot he is.

___♪___

___♪___

"ANNABETH?" PERCY STOOD IN THE DOORWAY, hands clasped nervously, "I need to tell you something." Annabeth set her book down in her lap, eyebrows knit with worry. Percy walked into the room, opting not to sit next to this girlfriend, but instead stayed standing up, the coffee table acting as a barrier between them. As he began to speak, he started pacing back and forth, avoiding Annabeth's gaze for as long as possible.

Only when he finished speaking did he cease his pacing and dare to look at Annabeth. Just as he thought, her face was twisted in anger and betrayal showed in her eyes. Tears filled her eyes she looked at Percy, wondering how he could do something like that to her. After all that they've been through, he throws it all away like this?

"Annabeth," Percy started, "Look- I know you're probably pissed, and hurt beyond belief, but you've got to understand, I was so sick and tired of-"

"That's your excuse Percy?" Annabeth interrupted, "You were tired? You were tired, and so you go and do this?" As she says this, Annabeth gets up from her place from the couch and stalks until she is three inches from Percy's face, annoyance flashing across his face, pure fury twisted into hers. "What did you think that would accomplish Percy? Huh? Did you think going behind my back would make anything better? Why didn't you just come and talk to me?"

Percy stared at her, an incredulous look replaced his previously annoyed one. "Just talk. To you? What would you understand Annabeth? You would never in a million years understand this!"

"Oh, so now it's my fault?" At this point in the argument, both Percy and Annabeth were both yelling, faces flushed from anger. "It's my fault that your stupid male ego can't handle something that's completely within your control?"

"Well forgive me if I'm sick of my 'stupid male ego' being torn to bits and shreds!" Percy shouts.

"And so instead of coming and talking to me like a mature adult, you decide to cheat!" Annabeth retorts, tears leaking from her eyes. Seeing her tears, Percy took a step back, as if she had slapped him in the face. He threw his hands up in exasperation, groaning as he did so.

"I can't believe you Annabeth! It was one time!" He couldn't believe her! Getting so worked up over something as little as this!

"Oh I highly doubt that Percy! If you've cheated once, you've certainly cheated before," Annabeth exclaimed, storming past him to the counter where her jacket and keys were. She grabbed them angrily and put on her jacket before turning to Percy. "I can't deal with you right now. Call me when you're ready to talk." The door slams shut before Percy runs a hand down his face, an annoyed groan seething out of his mouth. He falls back onto the couch, slumping in his seat.

"And this is why I hate game night," Percy muttered aloud, reaching for the remote to catch up on T.V. while he waited for his short tempered girlfriend to cool down before calling to apologize for cheating in last night's game of Scrabble.

___♪___